"Gray hair is a sign of age, not wisdom."
Having gray hair is a common occurrence to almost everyone especially at the adulthood stage. Hair has a tendency to lose its natural colour with advancing age and turn grey, but premature greying is a morbid condition and it makes even the young look older. Graying of hair may occur to some people who have medical conditions, but this should not worry you if you do not have any illness.
If you knew that a healthy diet could prevent grey hair, would you change your eating habits? We keep being told that lifestyle and food intake are key factors in staying healthy and looking younger, but many of us just buy the food we like without analysing the contents to make sure we are consuming the right balance of vitamins and minerals. Greying hair often begins at age 35, and continues as we get older. By the age of 50, around half of the population has significant loss of colour.
Natural remedies such as a good hair vitamin, having a balanced diet and maintenance of cleanliness have considerable effects in preventing gray hair. So, maintaining your youthful appearance is the best gift that you can give to yourself.
Photo Credit: RJ Capak/WireImage.com
What causes Premature Graying of Hair
• Very often, heredity is a predisposing factor. This means that this change in the body is also in the genes.
• Stress and psychological worries may also trigger the early graying of hair. According to studies, people who suffer from anxiety and stress over a long period of time may experience the early appearance of gray hair. The feelings sorrow, worried including malnutrition may reduce the production of melanin which results to gray hair. Also know that stress and anxiety can cause hair loss or thinning in people. Mental worries produce extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp; this interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair.
• Early appearance of grey hair is prone to people who suffer from chronic cold and sinusitis and those that use hot water in washing their hair.
• A faulty diet diet with lack of vitamins will also causes untimely graying of hair. Lack of some of the B vitamins, iron, copper, and iodine in the daily diet is said to be a contributory factor.
• Women can also suffer hair loss or thinning hair as they get older, or during pregnancy.
• Anemia may also be a contributing factor, but whatever the cause, the results can be distressing and lead to a loss of self confidence.
QUICK TIPS - Helps Reverse Gray Hair
Aside from having age spots, wrinkles, deep-seated laugh lines, crowfeet beside the eyes and other visible marks on the skin, graying hair is another inevitable part of the aging process. For the skin, there are anti-ageing serums that you can use, as well as surgical and non-surgical procedures that you can undergo to counteract the effects of ageing.
If you do not want to reveal your true age, graying hair is a dead giveaway, so how can you prevent it from showing? Take a look at the following quick tips that helps reverse gray hair issues:
1. A change of hair color or hair style.
Visit a salon and ask about your hair coloring options. If a major portion is affected, then you can try a new style or hair cut so that you can look younger. You can also buy a hair coloring kit if you want to cover your gray hair right in the comfort of your own home. Finally, if the distribution of gray hair is uneven - or if your hair color turns out to be darker and duller due to aging, then you can use highlights to bring the youth and luster back to your mane.
However, do bear in mind that it is best to choose a color dye closest to your original shade, as this will suit your skin tone and look the most natural. This can look extremely glamorous with a good cut to suit the shape of the face, and removes the need to worry about frequent trips to the salon to touch up those roots!
2. Use gray hair shampoo.
Use of emu oil shampoo is suggested since it is loaded with the much needed omega 3's and nutrition to help with gray hair issues. Emu oil shampoo works great for many different problems including dry hair that comes with age and with too many chemicals in the hair.
3. Treat graying hair with essential vitamins & Omegas.
You need to include a lot of foods with vitamin B12, Folic Acid, and Omega 3 to your diet. These three components are effective in fighting against graying hair. Take them as a supplement or look for foods rich in these nutrients and include them in you diet until you get your diet back on track. The hair vitamins work for so many different hair related problems as well as faster hair growth. The Omega 3 will help your hair grow stronger, since it will become brittle with age. Vitamin B12, on the other hand, helps retain your hair's original color - and a vitamin B supplement is also a good stress reliever. There is some thought that grey hair may reflect a deficiency in certain nutrients including the minerals zinc and copper.
Taking 15 mg of zinc along with 1 mg of copper each day may possibly help to prevent or delay the onset of grey hair.
4.Avoid devitalising foods, soft drinks etc
Devitalising foods such as white flour, refined sugar and all products made from them, soft drinks, pastries, jams and jellies should be avoided. These foods take away energy, cause wrinkles, unattractive skin, grey hair, and premature old age.
5. Quit smoking & exercise
If you smoke, try to quit or at least cut back. Get plenty of exercise and eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of anti-oxidant loaded vegetables and fruits. Anti-oxidants are nutrients which fight damage to our cells by chemicals known as free radicals; several studies indicate they may prevent cancer and they may also help prevent premature aging.