Police child abuse officers have met BBC officials to discuss allegations over late TV presenter Sir Jimmy Savile, Scotland Yard has said.
The police said they were contacting all individuals who have made claims about the star and should know how many victims there are some time next week.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said on Friday: "Officials from the BBC have met this morning at New Scotland Yard with senior officers from the Child Abuse Investigations Command and a representatives from NSPCC.
"We are now collating information gathered from a range of sources across the UK and will continue contacting individuals who have made allegations in relation to the late Jimmy Savile over the coming weekend.
"We do not expect to have a clear picture of exactly how many women may have suffered abuse until next week and want to allow time for victims to reflect on what they may have experienced."
The force added that the "assessment of these will take some time and the BBC Investigations Service are fully co-operating with detectives."
Scotland Yard is currently considering a number of claims, including a historic rape allegation referred to Met officers by Surrey Police.
St Albans Tory MP Anne Main has also written to Lord Justice Leveson asking him to investigate how the broadcaster handled the allegations as part of his inquiry into press standards.
A growing number of victims have come forward to allege that Sir Jimmy sexually assaulted them after five women took part in a documentary claiming that they had been abused.
In the film, screened on Wednesday, the alleged victims accused the Jim'll Fix It presenter of sexually assaulting them, some while on BBC premises.
Police in Northamptonshire have been contacted by two alleged victims, while it emerged this week that Surrey, Sussex and Jersey Police have also received complaints.
The Met said the assessment of claims will be led by Detective Superintendent David Gray, from the force's Child Abuse Investigation Command.
Broadcaster Janet Street-Porter revealed that she was aware of rumours about the television and radio presenter's alleged abuse of under-age girls when she worked at the BBC in the late 1980s.
The journalist also said there was a culture of inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes of the "male-dominated" entertainment industry, adding that nothing would have been done even if the allegations about the late Top Of The Pops host were raised.
Street-Porter, who joined the BBC as an executive in 1987, said: "I was aware of the rumours about Jimmy Savile, I was also aware of rumours about other people.
"There was a culture, and it was a generational thing, in areas of light entertainment behaviour was tolerated."
The former Fleet Street editor added: "I feel that the reason these women never came forward before was nobody would have believed them because Jimmy Savile raised so much money for charity and he used the money that he raised for charity as a bargaining power to buy silence from national newspapers.
"If ever there was a time when someone might have blown the whistle on him, he would threaten those newspapers and those reporters that that charity money would not go to those hospitals."
Street-Porter also said that, even if she had raised the rumours with senior BBC executives, nobody would have taken any notice.
Speaking on BBC's Question Time, she added: "A lot of people in the BBC knew what was going on.
"I heard the rumours but I was working in an environment that was totally male.
"Do you really think that, if I said to someone at the BBC higher up than me, this was going on - they wouldn't have taken any notice of me whatsoever."
Street-Porter, who started working in commercial television as a presenter in 1975, said she had been aware of "things going on in dressing rooms" across the industry.
"There was definitely a culture where there was inappropriate sexual behaviour, not necessarily with under-age boys and girls, but there was a culture in light entertainment that made me feel uncomfortable."