UK Poverty

Game of Thrones: Why the British Monarchy Must Go

Josh Marshall | Posted 26.01.2015 | UK
Josh Marshall

you might be thinking that in modern day, 2014, Britain, we've forgotten this feudal nonsense from the middle-ages! We've moved on Into a prosperous, egalitarian secularist society which rewards people based on merit!? Well we haven't!

Why I am Determined to End Hunger in Our Classrooms

Carmel McConnell | Posted 22.01.2015 | UK
Carmel McConnell

Hunger makes children lethargic or angry or simply unsettled. New research we commissioned as part of our Feed Their Future report finds that, for 4 out of 5 teachers, mornings are more stressful than they should be because their pupils haven't eaten breakfast.

On Faith and Secularism

Gates Cambridge Scholars | Posted 21.01.2015 | UK Universities & Education
Gates Cambridge Scholars

Perhaps the poor do have more to gain from faith then the middle classes, and religion for all its good and bad will not give way to secularism in Africa.

Rising Inequality in the Global South: Time to Focus on the Solutions

Winnie Byanyima | Posted 19.01.2015 | UK
Winnie Byanyima

Today Oxfam announced that the combined wealth of the richest 1% will overtake that of the other 99% of people next year unless the current trend of rising inequality is checked. Inequality is spiralling out of control, but consensus on taking action against this issue of our time is gathering pace.

'The World's Richest 1% Will Own More Than The Other 99%'

The Huffington Post/PA | Asa Bennett | Posted 19.01.2015 | UK Politics

The world's richest 1% will own more than the other 99% by next year, Oxfam has warned. The anti-poverty charity has issued this stark message on g...

If This Is a Plan Working...

Daniel Woods | Posted 16.01.2015 | UK Politics
Daniel Woods

The prologue to this election has been a narrative of disaffection and apathy among the public over a lack of real choices, real differences between the main players. But I don't see that - I see big differences, and very clear choices.

The Sustainable Development Goals Must Be Rooted In Reality, Not Rhetoric

Toyin Ojora-Saraki | Posted 14.01.2015 | UK
Toyin Ojora-Saraki

Over the course of 2015, the international community will be refining and defining the Sustainable Development Goals. The 17 target areas of the SDGs have been widely agreed upon, but it is now time to turn these target areas into a workable set of goals.

How Have Millionaire Tories Convinced Us Immigrants and the Poor Are to Blame for Poverty?

Rob Owen Bell | Posted 06.01.2015 | UK Politics
Rob Owen Bell

As long as the public continues to accept the assurances of the rich that we have to suffer so that they don't have to, the bitterness created will continue to create divisions between ethnic and religious communities that should be working together to destroy zero hour contracts and ensure proper funding for the NHS.

Rising From the Bottom to the Top Has Got to Stop - According to the Green Party

Harry Saville | Posted 01.01.2015 | UK Politics
Harry Saville

Promoting global economic growth is clearly not on the Green agenda, and clearly they're quiet content with the notion that this might mean that people rising from the bottom to the top might have to stop.

2014: Year of the Poor?

Dave Clements | Posted 22.12.2014 | UK Politics
Dave Clements

The badly off, and the rest of us for that matter, are being stalked by a political class and charitable sector more interested in changing people's behaviour than solving society's problems.

Who Needs To Use A Food Bank?

Channel 4 News | Chris York | Posted 15.12.2014 | UK

Jane Deith visits a food bank in London which is open seven days a week - for those who cannot afford ordinary life....

IDS Downplays 'Tiny' Food Banks Attendance Despite 900,000 Users

The Huffington Post UK/PA | Posted 15.12.2014 | UK Politics

Use of food banks in the UK is "tiny" compared to Germany, Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has said. The Tory minister said there wer...

Russell Brand ....Bah, Humbug

Annabel Burn | Posted 14.12.2014 | UK
Annabel Burn

The UK is the world's sixth largest economy, yet 1 in 5 of the UK's population live below our official poverty line, which includes 3 million children...

Osborne's World: He Should Get Out More

Robin Lustig | Posted 12.12.2014 | UK Politics
Robin Lustig

Their world hasn't fallen in. They don't depend on a few extra pounds in benefits to get them through the week, nor do they rely on social services to keep their families functioning. I somehow doubt that they use public libraries, or Sure Start centres, or community youth centres, or drugs rehabilitation units. Nor does anyone they know - family, friends, neighbours. In their world, nothing has changed. Executive pay continues to rise at obscene rates, and bonuses continue to be paid as if there's a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. So looking at the world through their eyes, yes, it's true. Everything's fine and dandy.

Human Rights Day - A Reminder of Why We Need an Integrated Approach

Albina Du Boisrouvray | Posted 11.12.2014 | UK
Albina Du Boisrouvray

Today marks the United Nation's 64th Human Rights Day. When proclaimed in 1950, the UN General Assembly's aim was to highlight 'to the peoples of the world' that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was the common standard of achievement for all peoples and nations.

'Skint' Vs 'Posh People' - Inequality and the Great Class Divide

Becky Hopper | Posted 10.12.2014 | UK Universities & Education
Becky Hopper

With 'Posh People' - based on the readership of Tatler magazine - on one channel and 'Skint' on another, it's probably time to address the growing inequality and the huge class divide...

A Class War Is Raging in Britain, But Only One Side Is Taking Punches

John Wight | Posted 09.12.2014 | UK Politics
John Wight

The Free Market isn't free. Its cost is measured in human despair and truncated lives. That we have a situation in one of the richest economies in the world where people, including children, do not have enough to eat, is nothing short of a crime.

'Rich People Don't Know How To Cook,' Says New Report

The Huffington Post UK | Andrea Mann | Posted 09.12.2014 | UK Comedy

The richest people in Britain have no idea how to prepare their own meals, says a controversial new report. "We've lost our cooking skills. Rich pe...

9 Heartbreaking Stories From #FeedingBritain

The Huffington Post UK | Jessica Elgot | Posted 08.12.2014 | UK

Benefit delays, food waste and hungry children sent home to a cold house with empty cupboards are just some of the heartbreaking stories to emerge fro...

Britain Goes Hungry, Supermarkets Send Millions Of Tonnes To Landfill

The Huffington Post UK | Jessica Elgot | Posted 08.12.2014 | UK

Families are forced into food banks because of "unacceptable" delays in benefits, but action must be also taken to tackle high fuel bills, food prices...

Autumn Statement: A Long-Term Economic Plan Should Have a Poverty-free UK at Its Heart

Julia Unwin | Posted 04.12.2014 | UK Politics
Julia Unwin

The Autumn Statement was the Government's last chance to ensure the economic recovery does not bypass the worst off. This opportunity was missed.

Are You up for a Data Revolution?

Claudia Delpero | Posted 02.12.2014 | UK
Claudia Delpero

An advisory group to the United Nations is calling for a revolution. It won't be taking people to the streets, ousting governments or causing bloodshed, but it will overhaul the data driving governments' decisions.

In-Work Poverty Is Something We Must Do Our Utmost to Eradicate

Christian Wolmar | Posted 26.01.2015 | UK Politics
Christian Wolmar

The UK is the sixth largest economy in the world by GDP. London is booming and is the pick of Europe for the headquarters of some of the world's biggest companies. In that context it is simply unacceptable to see how many people are being trapped by low pay.

From No to Low Pay

Nick de Taranto | Posted 26.01.2015 | UK Politics
Nick de Taranto

Unpaid internships are just a prelude to a lifetime of low pay, normalising the idea that money earned is not enough to live off... the hourglass economy is a visual metaphor that describes the disappearance of middle income jobs, but at its heart there is a fallacy. We are not a country divided by earnings, so much as by assets - and this is especially true for the young.

Italian MEP Cécile Kyenge Set to Introduce Key Brussels Conference on Children Rough Sleepers at EU Parliament

Nick Fouche | Posted 23.01.2015 | UK Politics
Nick Fouche

Besides their enhanced chances of subjection to violence or of being embroiled in crime either as victims or perpetrators, teens sleeping today in our cities' parks, upon shop doorsteps or 'sofa surfing' between friends and acquaintances often live in real peril of various forms of abuse by adults or older minors who observe their movements over time only to then take advantage of their powerlessness.