06/03/2012 02:06 GMT | Updated 05/05/2012 06:12 BST

Eurostar Hit By Delays During Paris Fashion Week

Thousands of passengers face travel chaos after Eurostar cancelled services following an overhead power cable fault in France during Paris Fashion Week.

Members of the fashion pack voiced frustration at the delays which came as couturiers and catwalk stars congregated in the French capital.

Disgruntled travellers expressed dismay on Twitter, hitting out at the operator after four trains were axed yesterday afternoon. The same number will no longer run today.

In a series of postings, model Poppy Delevingne told her 10,000 followers she was "deliriously tired" after an eight-hour journey.

In one message to fellow model Laura Bailey, she wrote: "cheese & ham toasties better on the eurostar LB. The only plus. Been sitting on the track for four hours #cabinfashionfever."

A later posting read: "Blew a kiss to the receptionist at my hotel as he gave me my key. He looked scared. So would I be. Deliriously tired. Snore #8houreurostar."

Bailey, formerly a face of Marks and Spencer, appeared to be hoping for a smooth crossing.

"Less conspiracy theories.More wine and cheese... and Paris before breakfast please. #eurostar", she wrote.

Designer Henry Holland was less optimistic, writing simply: "Eurostar DISASTER".

Another passenger apparently caught up in the disruption added: "@Eurostar in future when having severe delays such as 6 hours late, your staff should be trained to acknowledge it! It is not a mere 5 mins!"

In a message to travellers, Eurostar apologised for "any inconvenience caused".

It recommended those booked on cancelled trains exchange their tickets for travel on another date as "other services may also be subject to delay".

A spokesman attributed the problems to a faulty EDF electricity cable close to the high speed line between the Channel Tunnel and Paris.

It advised passengers to check the website for updates.

Kandy Woodfield, who spent more than seven hours on a train after leaving London yesterday afternoon, described the experience as "hellish", while Therese Kelly, who was stuck for eight hours, told the BBC: "We had no announcements about why the train was so delayed or why it kept stopping, the train didn't move for hours. The whole train journey was brutal, totally brutal."

Ryan Armstrong, who was travelling to Amsterdam via London, missed his connecting flight because of the delays.

He told the broadcaster: "We were basically on the train for nine hours. We hardly moved; there was a lot of standing still. At one point the power was cut so we couldn't see anything or get any information."