14/08/2012 20:05 BST

Fisherman Dies After Being Washed Out To Sea

A man has died after being washed into the sea while fishing.

He was fishing with a friend at Penhallic Point, between Tintagel and Trebarwith Strand in Cornwall, when he was washed off the rocks.

The friend ran to life-saving apparatus nearby and threw a buoy to the man in trouble, but he had been unable to reach it, the coastguard said.

The fisherman was winched from the water by a rescue helicopter and taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

A spokesman for the coastguard said: "The man was washed off the rocks and his friend made every effort to save him.

"The man has now been declared dead at hospital."

Neil Oliver, watch manager at Falmouth Coastguard, added: "The Coastguard advise that anglers who are fishing near the water's edge and from an unstable platform, such as rocks, should wear a lifejacket or buoyancy aid.

"If you are undertaking activities at the coast, it is advisable to have a means of communication in case of emergency."

The incident occurred as two further tragedies were narrowly avoided on the Northumberland and South Wales coastlines.

Humber coastguard received several calls from concerned onlookers after two teenage girls got caught in a rip current at St Aidan's Beach, near Seahouses.

Battling the strong current, one of the girls managed to get to safety but with one girl still in the water, her brother attempted the rescue himself.

As the 999 calls continued, it emerged that the father of the brother and sister had also gone into the water but was forced to abandon his rescue as he could not fight the tide.

The exhausted siblings managed to get ashore but required urgent medical attention, the coastguard said.

The three teenagers were taken to hospital by rescue helicopter.

Just an hour later Swansea coastguard were called by a woman on the beach at Three Cliff Bay on the South Gower coast.

Her three young children and their father were in difficulty in the water and were battling with a rip current.

The child was rescued by the lifeboat from the rocks while the other two children and their father were picked up from the water by the lifeboat.

All four were airlifted to Morriston Hospital in Swansea suffering with water ingestion and shock.

The incidents have prompted the coastguard to issue a strong safety message, stressing the importance of awareness of tides and currents when on the beach.

Mike Puplett, Humber coastguard watch manager said: "These children, teenagers and adults have been extremely lucky today, and we are thankful of a safe outcome.

"Strong currents are unforgiving, and I urge all beach users and bathers to be aware of the inherent dangers. Two men attempted self rescue, and were also overcome themselves."

David Jones, Swansea coastguard watch manager added: "If you are visiting the beach, try to go to one which is patrolled by lifeguards and swim between the flags.

"Take notice of any warning signs. In an emergency tell the lifeguard if one is available or if on a unguarded beach call 999 and ask for the Coastguard."