NEWS
07/11/2012 10:11 GMT | Updated 07/11/2012 12:03 GMT

Jimmy Savile Sex Abuse: More Men Come Forward With Claims As Star Linked To Bryn Estyn Scandal

The lawyer representing victims of alleged sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile has said a very "reasonable percentage" of men have come forward, as a former resident of the Bryn Estyn care home claimed boys were molested for Savile's entertainment.

Liz Dux, an expert in child abuse cases at lawyers Russell, Jones & Walker, says she has been contacted by around 35 victims.

"We're still getting claims in by the day," said Ms Dux. "The evidence that victims are giving is strikingly similar.

"Some very serious cases are coming forward now, and not just women. There's a reasonable percentage of men."

The North Wales care home at the centre of the allegations

Pannone lawyer Alan Collins, who has been contacted by 46 victims of alleged abuse by Savile says it has received "firm instructions" to proceed with eight claims.

Seven will be made against Savile's estate and one will be launched against the BBC and his estate jointly.

"It's very serious stuff. If Savile was alive and convicted, he'd be looking at a very long stretch in prison, if not life," Collins said.

He said the firm was receiving new complaints by the day, around 40% of which have been made by men.

The revelations came as Jimmy Savile was been linked to the Bryn Estyn boys home in North Wales, which was at the centre of a shocking child abuse scandal in the 1970s

One victim, known only as Ben, detailed horrific abuse at the hands of the deputy head of the care home, Peter Howarth, for the entertainment of Savile.

He told The Sun that Howarth repeatedly raped him, and would pull down his pjama bottoms while Savile laughed.

According to Ben, 51, Savile would then ask: "What do you want me to do? Can I fix it for you."

Other boys were brought to see Savile, who would stay in Howarth's flat as a "treat", Ben told the newspaper. Howarth died in jail after being found guilty of child abuse in 1994.

Sir Ronald Waterhouse conducted the original inquiry into abuse at a North Wales children's home

The allegations came as West Yorkshire Police admitted Jimmy Savile may have been questioned by detectives investigating the Yorkshire Ripper murders.

On Tuesday, Theresa May announced the head of the new National Crime Agency will lead a six month inquiry into both historic and new allegations of abuse at a North Wales care home.

The home secretary also confirmed there would be a review into whether the Waterhouse Inquiry was conducted properly.

Last week, BBC's Newsnight broadcast an interview with Mr Messham who said he had been abused by a senior member of the Conservative party whilst living at Bryn Estyn children’s home in the 1980s.

He claimed an inquiry into abuse at Bryn Estyn led by Sir Ronald Waterhouse in 2000 looked at only a fraction of the allegations. More than 80 people were named in that report with 140 claims of compensation settled.