Woolwich Attack Suspect Michael Adebowale, 22, To Appear In Court Charged With Lee Rigby Murder

One of the men arrested in connection with the killing of drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich has appeared in court charged with his murder.

Michael Adebowale, 22, of Greenwich, was charged with murder and possession of a firearm late on Wednesday night and was remanded in custody.

There was tight security as he arrived at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday morning.

Adebowale was handcuffed as he confirmed his name and address as the charges were read out.

Another man, Michael Adebolajo, remains under arrest at a London Hospital.

A Police forensics officer removes items from an apartment in Greenwich, south east London, where 22-year old Michael Adebowale, is registered as living

Sue Hemming, head of the CPS Special Crime and Counter-Terrorism Division, said: "Crown prosecutors have been working with the investigators of Counter Terrorism Command since the killing of Drummer Lee Rigby on 22 May.

"Following the release of Michael Adebowale from hospital, we have authorised the police to charge him with the murder of Drummer Rigby.

"We have also authorised police to charge him with possession of a firearm, contrary to section 16A of the Firearms Act 1968.

"There is sufficient evidence to prosecute Michael Adebowale and it is in the public interest to do so."

"This man is now charged with serious criminal offences and he has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice this trial," she added.

The two men were both shot in the wake of the brutal murder near Woolwich barracks, south-east London. Adebowale was discharged from hospital and taken into police custody on Tuesday, while Adebolajo's condition is said to be stable in hospital.

So far, 10 people have been held by detectives investigating the young soldier's death, including Adebowale and Adebolajo.

In a statement released through his lawyers, Hayden Allen, 21, who was held on Saturday on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, denied any involvement in the "atrocity". He was released on bail.

Others held include a 50-year-old man, arrested in Welling, south-east London, who has been released on bail.

Two women, aged 29 and 31, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder but later released without charge.

Popular in the Community