Schoolboy Henry Tattersall Hanged Himself After Running Up X-Box Bill On His Mother's Credit Card

A schoolboy of 13 hanged himself after he ran up a £420 bill on his mother' credit card to buy X-box computer games.

Henry Tattersall was said to ''shocked and upset'' when the statement was sent to his mother and stepfather detailing how he much had spent.

The youngster went to his bedroom and posted a Facebook message saying: "I'm going to kill myself."

Just 15 minutes later he was found by his sister when he failed to answer calls to come down for tea. He was pronounced dead later in hospital.

The coroner ruled that Henry had wanted to be found

East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor reached a verdict of misadventure because he believed that Henry 'intended to be found'.

He said he could not be sure 'beyond all reasonable doubt' that Henry intended to take his own life, and that by leaving his bedroom door open, believed he would be found before he died.

The inquest was told the tragedy occurred after Henry had borrowed the credit card to buy the games on line over a four day period as a Christmas present to himself.

The statement arrived at his family home in Rossendale, Lancs on November 25 last year whilst Year Eight pupil Henry was at school.

Hiss mother Eve Tattersall confronted him about the money when he was dropped off from classes at Brambles East School, Darwen at 3.20pm.

Miss Tattersall, 35, told the hearing: "I personally believe that Henry was very shocked at the amount of money he had spent. He was upset that I was upset.

"He was upset that he had spent the money and we weren't in a position to be able to afford that amount of money. He spent £422 over four days on it. He was genuinely shocked at the amount of money."

She added that she had already grounded Henry for two weeks after she caught him having a cigarette at a sleepover.

Miss Tattersall said she could hear Henry talking out of his upstairs bedroom window to a friend at 4.20pm, but that he did not respond when she called him down for his tea at 5pm.

Henry was discovered by his 16-year-old sister, Holly, when she went upstairs. Ms Tattersall and neighbours attempted to resuscitate him but Henry died at Royal Blackburn Hospital at 6.30pm.

Police examined Henry's Facebook account and found other messages referred to the grave of 13-year old Declan Gatenby, one of his former classmates who also took his own life last July following a row over his mobile phone.

But Det Insp Jim Elston, of Lancashire Police said there was no evidence from Henry's phone that he had been bullied or had researched suicide methods.

Giving his verdict at the inquest end, Taylor said: "I am always suspicious and sceptical as to the intentions of children, of such a young age, as to whether or not they actually understand what's going to happen to them. Leaving his door open? It strikes me that he had a very guilty conscience, but he clearly dwelt on this and was upset at what happened.

"Maybe the conversation on Facebook about Declan Gatenby's grave meant it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. We will never know that.

"I believe that he hoped to make a point and expected to be found. I don't believe it was his intention to end his life."

In a statement, Miss Tattersall said: "Henry's death was a complete waste. The Henry I'm holding onto is the one running up the front steps, face beaming, with two bags of Christmas shopping and his pupil of the week award.''

In a statement issued by her and partner Lee Johnson, she added: ''Henry was a fearless, adventurous child who loved his sport, especially football and golf. Burnley FC was his passion and he was a season ticket holder.

''Henry struggled to fit in at school but had been loving life at Brambles East and was settled. A typical Henry story is that of him having a bet with his uncle Neil that he could eat 20 Brussels sprouts on Christmas Day two years ago for £20.

''Henry managed it and was banging on his uncle’s front door at 8am the next morning wanting payment. Henry was a cheeky, funny and impulsive child who has left a massive hole in the family that cannot be filled.''

John Rider, headteacher at Brambles East School said: ''Henry started at Brambles East School in September 2013 and had been with us for seven weeks.

''He settled in very quickly and had become a very popular pupil with both staff and his peers. He joined in fully in school life and was making excellent progress with his work and his behaviour. Staff and pupils alike will miss his quiet smile and calm manner.''

Staff at Burnley football club including manager Sean Dyche, lined the road when Henry's funeral cortège made its way to Burnley Crematorium on December 5 last year.

The club's supporters also held a minute's applause in his memory during the Clarets' game against Huddersfield Town on November 30.

If you are affected by any of the issues raised call The Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90

Popular in the Community