The entertainment world is paying tribute to Robin Williams, who has died at the age of 63.
As well as being one of the finest comedy actors of his generation, Williams was, of course, an incomparable stand-up comedian. After graduating from Julliard in 1976, he intended to be a serious actor - but as he said in 2006: "I left school and couldn't find acting work, so I started going to clubs where you could do stand-up. I've always improvised, and stand-up was this great release. All of a sudden, it was just me and the audience."
Here are some of Williams' most memorable quotes about comedy and creativity - and below that, videos of some of his biggest and best live comedy performances. From an early appearance at the famous Improv club in Los Angeles to his last stand-up tour 'Weapons Of Self-Destruction', watch his genius at work...
Performing at The Improv, 1977:
Richard Pryor's Roast, 1977:
Live At The Roxy, 1978:
An Evening With Robin Williams, 1982:
From Robin Williams: At The Met, 1986:
Performing in London, 1987:
From Robin Williams: LIVE On Broadway, 2002:
Weapons Of Self-Destruction, 2008:
Appearing on Set List in 2013:
- Stars Pays Their Respects To Robin Williams On Twitter
- President Obama Responds To William's Death: 'He Was One Of A Kind'
- Robin Williams: The Wit And The Warmth (BLOG)
- Fans Pay Their Respects On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame
- 56 Photos Of Robin Williams At His Funniest
- Remembering Robin Williams With 20 Of His Funniest Quotes
- Robin Williams' Hilarious Routine About The Scots (And Golf)
- Williams Gave The Most Inspiring Speech In Film History
If you've been affected by the issues in this article, please call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.