There's nothing worse than deciding to treat yourself to a meal out only to pay a fortune for food you could have made yourself at home (and better).
So if you are going to fork out the money, knowing where the best joints are is key.
Chef Simon Rogan's restaurant L'Enclume has been ranked the best in Britain for the second year running by an influential guide.
The Cumbrian eatery won a perfect 10 cooking score alongside two other restaurants, Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck and Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, the first time in 15 years that the Good Food Guide to Britain's top restaurants awarded three full marks simultaneously.
In 1999, that honour was shared by Marco Pierre White's Oak Room, Nico Ladenis at Chez Nico and female chef Gunn Eriksen at the Altnaharrie Inn at Loch Broom, Ullapool, in Scotland.
In another first, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay chef proprietor Clare Smyth became the first female chef in 15 years to be awarded a perfect 10 score by the guide, now in its 64th year.
The Fat Duck, ranked second, has now scored a perfect 10 for seven years in a row - longer than any other restaurant since the guide adopted its current scoring system.
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay achieved third place, up two places from last year.
The guide's consultant editor Elizabeth Carter said: "After a break of a decade, Gordon Ramsay's Chelsea flagship has once again been awarded a perfect 10.
"Now the domain of Clare Smyth, with support from what is without doubt one of the best front-of-house teams in the UK, this most impressive of London's premier restaurants is back in that elite club.
"Further congratulations, too, for Smyth is the first female chef to achieve our top score in 15 years. With her brilliantly artistic, elegant, modern French cooking she perfectly complements the witty, cerebral Fat Duck and the sensual farm-to-table delights of L'Enclume at the pinnacle of our top 50 list."
Rogan said he felt "so privileged to be at the number one spot for a second year".
He said: "The full 10 rating really is a reflection of all the continued focus and improvements we have been undertaking at L'Enclume every single month.
"The team just keeps on getting stronger and stronger, and we now also have a hugely skilled front-of-house staff who more than match our culinary standards."
Cornwall's Restaurant Nathan Outlaw took fourth spot followed by Claude Bosi's Mayfair restaurant Hibiscus.
The guide, published by Waitrose, ranked Jason Atherton's flagship restaurant Pollen Street Social sixth, followed by Nottingham's Restaurant Sat Bains at seven and Phil Howard's The Square at eight.
Le Champignon Sauvage, situated in Cheltenham in the Cotswolds, took ninth position and Brett Graham's The Ledbury completed the top 10.
The guide is compiled by experts on public recommendations and also includes pubs and cafes.
This year's Good Food Guide top 50 restaurants, with the cooking score in brackets, are as follows:
1. L'Enclume, Cumbria (10)
2. The Fat Duck, Berkshire (10)
3. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London (10)
4. Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Cornwall (9)
5. Hibiscus, London (9)
6. Pollen Street Social, London (9)
7. Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottinghamshire (9)
8. The Square, London (8)
9. Le Champignon Sauvage, Gloucestershire (8)
10. The Ledbury, London (8)
11. Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles, Tayside (8)
12. Midsummer House, Cambridgeshire (8)
13. Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, Oxfordshire (8)
14. The French, Manchester (8)
15. Le Gavroche, London (8)
16. Whatley Manor, The Dining Room, Wiltshire (8)
17. Fraiche, Merseyside (8)
18. Andre Garrett at Cliveden, Berkshire (7)
19. Fera at Claridges, London (7)
20. Marcus, London (7)
21. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (7)
22. The Kitchin, Edinburgh (7)
23. The Waterside Inn, Berkshire (7)
24. Pied-a-Terre, London (7)
25. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, London (7)
26. Michael Wignall at the Latymer, Surrey (7)
27. Restaurant Martin Wishart, Edinburgh (7)
28. Artichoke, Buckinghamshire (7)
29. Fischer's Baslow Hall, Derbyshire (7)
30. Restaurant James Sommerin, Glamorgan (7)
31. The Peat Inn, Fife (7)
32. Murano, London (7)
33. Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Cornwall (7)
34. Gidleigh Park, Devon (7)
35. Hedone, London (7)
36. Hambleton Hall, Rutland (7)
37. Restaurant Story, London (7)
38. The Pass, West Sussex (7)
39. Casamia, Bristol (7)
40. Ynyshir Hall, Powys (7)
41. Freemasons at Wiswell, Lancashire (7)
42. Helene Darroze at the Connaught, London (6)
43. The Hand & Flowers, Buckinghamshire (6)
44. Yorke Arms, Ramsgill, Yorkshire (6)
45. Paris House, Bedfordshire (6)
46. Simon Radley at the Chester Grosvenor, Cheshire (6)
47. The Raby Hunt, Durham (6)
48. Chiltern Firehouse, London (6)
49. Northcote, Lancashire (6)
50. The Clove Club, London (6)