George Galloway's Battered Face Revealed After Street Attack

Galloway's Battered Face Revealed After Street Attack

Controversial MP George Galloway has been released from hospital after he was battered and bruised in a street attack, police have said.

The pro-Palestine MP suffered a suspected broken jaw and rib as well as facial bruising when a man leapt at him and punched him after shouting about the Holocaust, his spokesman said.

Mr Galloway, who had been posing for pictures with people in Golborne Road, Notting Hill, London, was treated overnight at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington.

A 39-year-old man arrested shortly afterwards on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm remained in police custody, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

"The victim of the assault was taken to a central London hospital for treatment to his injuries," the police spokesman said.

"He was discharged from hospital this morning, Saturday 30 August.

"Detectives from Kensington & Chelsea are investigating."

The Respect Party has released a photo of the MP's battered face after he was beaten up.

The Respect Party tweeted a picture showing two red lumps on his right temple.

Wearing a black jacket and white shirt, Galloway looked defiant in the picture taken in the street as he made his way to St Mary's Hospital, Paddington.

"The Respect Party thanks all well-wishers," the message said.

The spokesman did not know whether the attacker was an Israeli, an EDL-supporter or had some other motivation for attacking the MP.

Galloway was interviewed earlier this month by West Yorkshire Police following a speech in Leeds in which he claimed Bradford was an Israel-free zone.

The spokesman said Mr Galloway had described himself as being "in a pretty bad shape".

"This guy just attacked him, leapt on him and started punching him,” he said, adding, "it appears to be connected with his comments about Israel because the guy was shouting about the Holocaust."

"George is badly bruised but OK. He has bruising to his head and face and is in a pretty bad shape," the spokesman said.

In 2008 Mr Galloway was pelted with a rubber stress ball as he was campaigning in an open-top bus in London.

The firebrand politician received medical treatment but was not taken to hospital.

A man was arrested and cautioned over the incident.

Reaction on Twitter to news of the latest beating was mixed:


What's Hot