Nathan Robinson 'Killed William Spiller & Used Dismembered Body Parts As TV Stand'

A father was killed by his son and then "carefully" dismembered so his body parts could be "neatly packaged" in plastic storage boxes and used as a television stand, a court has heard.

Nathan Robinson used a Stanley knife, hacksaw and saw to cut up the 25 stone body of William Spiller at the flat they shared in Lacey Court, Stedman Road, Bournemouth, Dorset.

The 28-year-old is on trial at Winchester Crown Court, accused of the murder of the 48-year-old taxi driver, which he denies. He admits manslaughter on grounds of diminished responsibility.

William Spiller pictured with his partner Glenys Molyneux

Nigel Lickley QC, prosecuting, told the jury that Robinson killed his father on May 16 2013 following an argument over money.

He said a neighbour who lived below the pair noticed in the afternoon of that day that a "pink liquid" was dripping through the ceiling of his bathroom.

The prosecutor said this was diluted blood as Robinson cleaned up the crime scene with a steam cleaner which he went out to buy after killing his father.

Mr Lickley said: "Mr Spiller was a large man - 6ft 5in, he weighed in excess of 25 stone in weight - hence I say when his body was cut up and dismembered, it would have taken time and effort. Armed with a Stanley knife, small hacksaw and a saw, it would have been a messy business."

He added that the body parts had been "packaged neatly" in the boxes.

The prosecutor said Robinson attempted to cover up the killing and created a "things to do" list including paying the rent on the property, which was his first action after the incident.

He also used his father's mobile phone in the following weeks in a bid to pretend that he was still alive.

After paying the rental company at its offices in cash, he then went to a store and purchased the cleaning equipment.

The neighbour who spotted the dripping blood had previously heard an argument coming from their flat in which Mr Spiller said: "Do you expect me to keep subsidising you for the rest of my life?"

When he went to investigate the liquid, Robinson answered the door and was described as "very calm, just normal, very collected, there was nothing to say he had just had a fight with his dad".

Mr Lickley said Robinson's actions meant that his father's body was not found until a month later, on June 17, after his father's partner, Glenys Molyneaux, reported him missing to police after he stopped replying to text messages.

She had believed he was visiting a friend in the West Midlands, Simon Green, who was seriously ill and who has since died.

Mr Lickley said: "Dorset Police attended the flat. They noted strong smells and flies, alive and dead, in the hallway leading up to the property.

"They entered and they found Mr Spiller within the bedroom area. His body had been dismembered - that is, cut up, deliberately and carefully - and placed in plastic storage boxes together with items of clothing.

"Mr Spiller's head had been removed, cut off, and was found within another box within a filing cabinet in the bedroom.

"In one of the boxes was a Stanley knife with a relatively small but sharp blade, a saw and a small hacksaw - the tools, the Crown say, which were used to kill and cut up the body of Mr Spiller."

The jury, made up of five women and seven men, was shown photographs of the flat including plastic boxes containing body parts which were stacked with a television placed on top.

They were also shown the "grisly" filing cabinet with the box containing Mr Spiller's head inside.

Mr Lickley said Robinson took at least £7,750 in cash belonging to his father and the day after the killing, May 17, went to visit friends in Glasgow where he spent up to £300 "drinking, eating and socialising", all the time sending text messages purporting to come from Mr Spiller.

Mr Lickley said it was believed that Robinson may have stayed in the flat after returning from Scotland.

He then used more money stolen from his father to pay for a weekend with his mother, who was separated from Mr Spiller, to stay at a hotel in Bristol for a vegan weekend.

Mr Lickley said Robinson had been in debt to his father and a note written two years earlier was found showing a loan of £36,000.

He said Mr Spiller had lent his son money to go on holiday to Thailand at the same time as he needed to pay for insurance on his taxi, which led to him being in court for failing to take out the mandatory cover.

He added that Ms Molyneaux described Robinson "as someone who could get round his father easily" and who had behaved "inappropriately" towards her.

When he was later arrested at his mother's home in Birmingham, Robinson asked police: "Is this a joke?"

Mr Lickley said Robinson admitted killing his father and dismembering his body but denied his murder.

He told the jury: "There is no issue between the prosecution and defence that, first, the defendant did kill his father; second, cut up his body into parts and placed them piece by piece into plastic storage boxes; or, third, he took the sums of money.

"The issue for you to resolve centres on was the defendant's responsibility at the time of the killing diminished by virtue of an abnormality of mental function so as to reduce the crime from murder to manslaughter?"

He said that psychologists being called as expert witnesses by the prosecution and the defence disagreed as to the defendant's mental health.

The trial, which is expected to last three weeks, was adjourned until tomorrow.