03/02/2015 11:43 GMT | Updated 03/02/2015 11:59 GMT

Fred Talbot's Sex Abuse Trial Halted After He Cuts Head In Witness Box Fall

The sex abuse trial of TV weatherman Fred Talbot was halted when he fell into a table and injured his head as he left the witness box.

Talbot, 65, suffered a crashing fall as he appeared to miss a step to the right of the box at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.

He suffered a cut to the forehead after he tumbled into a facing table.


The incident took place as the jury was sent out for a break after Talbot had started to give evidence in his defence.

There were gasps from the packed public gallery as Talbot collapsed in a heap and the court clerk rushed to his aid.

Talbot groaned on the floor and looked dazed as he was eventually helped to his feet.

A bloodied cut to his forehead was clearly visible before Court 9 was cleared as Talbot was propped up against the table.

He was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary for precautionary checks, the court heard.

Talbot had earlier entered the witness box for the first time to give evidence in his defence against allegations that he indecently five schoolboys between the late 1960s and the early 1980s during his former career as a teacher.

He was in the box for about 20 minutes as he answered questions from his barrister, Suzanne Goddard QC, about his early life and career.

The jury was sent out for a break shortly before 11.50am and was swiftly followed by Judge Timothy Mort, who had just told Talbot not to talk to anyone while he was giving evidence.

Moments later Talbot suffered his accident.

fred talbot

Fred Talbot outside court before he was injured

fred talbot

And in his presenting heyday

The jury was later called back in by Judge Mort and told that proceedings had come to an end for the day.

The judge told them: "He was treated to see if he could be patched up with plaster but the paramedics came and they decided because it was a head injury he really ought to have it checked out so he has gone to MRI (Manchester Royal Infirmary) by ambulance, I'm afraid."

He then adjourned the case until 10am tomorrow and told the jury that "fingers crossed" the trial would then resume.

Earlier, the start of the court day had been delayed for an hour after a fire drill.

Four of the complainants in the case were teenage pupils at Altrincham Grammar School for Boys, where Talbot taught biology, while the other was a pupil at Eldon High School in Gateshead when Talbot was on placement from the training college.

Talbot denies anything sexual or inappropriate occurring between himself and the Altrincham pupils.

He admits consensual sexual activity took place with the latter pupil but that it only happened when the complainant turned 16 as opposed to when he was aged 14 or 15.