If you've ever reached for hair dye without doing a patch test first, then you might think twice after seeing this.
An Imgur user has shared shocking images she claims show her friend's allergic reaction to hair dye.
The series of photographs shows the woman before the reaction, as well as daily updates of her progress after being admitted to hospital.
The photographs were shared by 'thechosenginger'. They show her friend's reaction to hair colour which has resulted in a severely inflated head and swollen eyes, one of which she can't even open.
According to Allergy UK, hair dye allergies are not uncommon because many of the products contain certain chemicals that can trigger reactions.
Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is found in permanent hair dyes, especially those at the darker end of the range. It has been known to sometimes cause reactions.
People who are allergic to PPD might experience an itchy scalp and face, both of which might also begin to swell.
It can also trigger symptoms throughout the body, such as itching, a nettle rash, and generally feeling ill.
Story continues below...
Allergic Reaction To Hair Dye
A severe allergic reaction that develops within minutes is known as anaphylaxis.
Symptoms include: itchy skin or a raised, red skin rash; swollen eyes, lips, hands and feet; feeling lightheaded or faint; swelling of the mouth, throat or tongue, which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties; wheezing; tummy pain; nausea and vomiting; collapsing and becoming unconscious.
To avoid reactions like this, it is advised to either stop using hair dye products altogether, or to always carry out patch tests 48 hours before using hair dye.
[H/T Daily Mail]