Tim Peake Spacewalk Terminated After 'Golfball' Sized Water Droplet Discovered In Tim Kopra's Suit


Tim Peake and Tim Kopra's spacewalk has been officially terminated after a small 'golfball' amount of water was discovered inside NASA astronaut Tim Kopra's suit.

Tim Peake inside the airlock aboard the International Space Station.

Both astronauts have returned to the airlock after a four hour and 40 minute spacewalk and while the mission was terminated early Kopra still took the time to thank the ground crew for all their help saying: "We want to thank all the teams that got the ISS back to full power."

Tim Peake echoed Kopra's comments saying: "I want to reiterate what Tim said, they've done a great job"

The discovery of water actually follows a previous alarm on Tim Kopra's suit when a CO2 sensor alerted him to slightly higher than normal levels of water.

Kopra was reportedly able to taste the water and found it to be extremely cold suggesting that a leaking cooling tube within the suit is to blame.

Tim Kopra's helmet camera captures the astronaut going through final airlock checks after termination.

Peake was able to see the water droplet within Kopra's suit describing it as 'less than a golfball' in size.

The termination is part of a new ultra-conservative set of rules that were put in place after an incident on 16 July 2013 when astronaut Luca Parmitano found his helmet filling up with water.

Astronaut Parmitano's incident was considerably more severe with the amount of water actually covering his eyes, mouth and nose making it difficult for him to breathe.

Since then NASA has implemented far stricter rules and regulations which mean that if even a small drop is discovered the team should immediately consider a termination.

NASA astronaut Scott Kelly prepares to help both astronauts on their return.

What will happen next is once Peake and Kopra have safely entered the airlock and restored the pressure the pair will remove their helmets and before they've even removed their suits will begin the long and precise task of photographing Tim Kopra's helmet and suit equipment.

These images will then be sent to NASA for close examination.

The team had accomplished their main objective which was the replace a faulty shunt which had stopped electricity from passing to the station from one of its main solar panels.

The first five hours of the mission were a complete success with the team even managing to accomplish further objectives.

Before You Go