The Brits have come under fire as only two non-white acts were nominated for gongs this year, with this year’s winner’s list was made up of only white artists.
Craig has spoken of his hopes that next year’s awards will be more inclusive and representative.
Speaking to The Mirror on the red carpet of Wednesday’s (24 February) Brits, he said: “Sometimes some genres of music aren’t represented and this year it happened to be grime. It’s very clear that it hasn’t been.
"So hopefully next year the way that the voting system is made the grime artists will be seen.
"But being part of that scene, I know deep down that the grime and garage music and urban music it's winning in itself."
Simon Cowell’s best friend Sinitta also echoed Craig’s sentiments, saying: “Diversity has been in awards shows has been a problem for years.”
Brits bosses have promised to take steps to make next year’s awards more reflective of British music.
"The Brits take the issue of diversity very seriously and have always endeavoured to celebrate as broad a range of what's popular in today's music as possible,” a spokesperson said.
"There are no individual awards for specific genres however, and since only a small number of Brits are awarded every year, the artists who are honoured tend to be those who have achieved the very highest levels of chart success.
"Given the rapidly changing landscape of music consumption, it may now be time to take a fresh look at the metrics around the Brit Awards to ensure they reflect the full range of engagement with recorded music."
Take a look at all the red carpet pics from the Brits in the gallery below...
Brit Awards 2016 Red Carpet
MORE FROM THE BRIT AWARDS:
- See All The Stars Arrive On The Brits Red Carpet
- Here's A Full List Of The 2016 Brits Winners
- Kylie's Brits Appearance Was Special For Two Huge Reasons
- Cheryl Looked All Sorts Of Amazing On The Brits Red Carpet
- Oops! 'TOWIE' Star And Presenter Maya Sport Matching Brits Outfits
- Fleur East Has Got A New Rihanna-Inspired ‘Fro, And We Are Into It
- Susanna Reid Takes Inspiration From Jessica Rabbit At The Brits
- Rihanna Slays In Barely-There Dress On Brits Red Carpet
- Adele Was A Lady In Red At The 2016 Brit Awards
- Little Mix Give Us Golden Goddess Vibes At Brit Awards
- Adele Makes A Bold Statement During Brit Awards Speech
- Awks! Ant And Dec Interrupted By Unexpected Guest During Brits Link
- Lorde Has Us In Tears With Her David Bowie Brits Tribute
- Rihanna And Drake Get Steamy During Brits Performance
- Little Mix Totally SMASHED It With Debut Brits Performance
- Adele's Brits Performance Was, Of Course, Glorious
- Adele Censored During Brits Speech, But ITV Forget To Bleep Her Actually Swearing
- Craig David Speaks Out On Brits Diversity Row