Who run the world? Velvet, apparently.
Whether or not you like the film, the song or it’s modern covers (Lana Del Rey and Sky Ferreria gave it a whole new lease of life), there’s something darkly alluring about blue velvet.
Swanning around like you broke Bobby Vinton’s heart is one of life’s most simple sartorial pleasures.
But the look is not just limited to luxe evening-wear worthy of a neo-noir femme fatale. The shelves are stacked with midnight blue bodies, jackets and - most importantly - shoes. Net-A-Porter’s fashion retail director has said velvet footwear is the “single biggest trend” the site has imported this season.
Champagne taste on a lemonade budget? We got you. Well, the virtual British high street does, and we’ve sifted through everything to find the 15 best pieces available to buy at the click of a mouse.
- Missguided Longline Velvet BomberMissguided
- New Look Velvet Block Heel Ankle BootsNew Look
- American Apparel Velvet Violette Skater DressAmerican Apparel
- Zara Velvet BackpackZara
- Light Before Dark Crushed Velvet CulottesUrban Outfitters
- Zara Frilled Velvet TopZara
- ASOS Velvet Pearl Choker NecklaceASOS
- Lipsy Velvet Skater DressLipsy
- River Island Blue Velvet Block Heel SandalsRiver Island
- Topshop Velvet Drape Front BodyTopshop
- Missguided Velvet Strappy Back Midi DressMissguided
- Miss Selfridge Velvet Bra TopMiss Selfridge
- H&M Short-Sleeved Velvet CoatH&M
- Topshop Crystal Flatform Lace Up TrainersTopshop
- Glamorous High Waist Velvet ShortsASOS
Want more inspo? Check out all the best celebs rocking blue velvet in our gallery below: