The DUP has signed a deal to prop up the Tory minority Government and earned itself £1 billion in the process.
In exchange for the cash, the DUP’s 10 MPs will vote with the Government to support the Queen’s Speech and any budget, as well as against any no confidence motion Labour might try and use to bring the Government down.
The £1 billion will go on infrastructure in Northern Ireland including health and education.
To keep her Government afloat, Theresa May has also agreed to ditch the manifesto pledges to means-test winter fuel payments for pensioners and axe the ‘triple lock’ guarantee on state pensions.
This will, presumably, mean she has to look elsewhere to save money, as the NHS faces financial crisis and recent events expose the extent of cuts to emergency services.
Here are the things, from policing to health, that £1 billion could buy:
- 1Don't cut the Met Police budget. Recruit 20,000 new cops for London insteadPA Wire/PA Images
- 245,419 new trainee firefightersTOLGA AKMEN via Getty Images
- 346,000 new nurses for a yearGetty Images
- 41,117 MRI scanners for the NHSAlamy
- 5Build 5,264 housesYui Mok/PA Archive
- 6Fund the whole of the BBC for two and a half monthsKirsty Wigglesworth/AP
- 7Pay tuition fees for 37,000 students' degreesDominic Harris/PA Archive
- 8Build 71 schoolsMatt Cardy via Getty Images
- 9Field an entire football team of Paul PogbasEMPICS Sport