England and Manchester United footballer Harry Maguire has been found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and attempts of bribery in Greece.
Maguire has said in a statement he will launch an appeal after being handed a suspended prison sentence by a Greek court.
The world’s most expensive defender faced several charges along with Christopher Sharman and brother Joe Maguire, with the centre-back receiving a suspended prison sentence of 21 months.
The verdict led England boss Gareth Southgate to withdraw the defender from the squad for the Nations League doubleheader against Iceland and Denmark, having only selected him earlier in the day.
Maguire said: “Following the hearing today, I have instructed my legal team with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing.
“I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims.”
Manchester United released a statement following the hearing in Syros.
A club statement read: “Manchester United notes the verdict of the Greek court today.
“Harry Maguire pleaded not guilty to all of the misdemeanour charges made against him and he continues to strongly assert his innocence.
“It should be noted that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their evidence late on the day before the trial, giving the defence team minimal time to digest them and prepare.
“A request for the case to be adjourned was subsequently denied. On this basis, along with the substantial body of evidence refuting the charges, Harry Maguire’s legal team will now appeal the verdict, to allow a full and fair hearing at a later date.”
The 27-year-old was arrested in the early hours of Friday after an alleged incident on the island of Mykonos, with the defender appearing at a hearing the following day in the neighbouring island of Syros.