But some athletes are still pretty gutted to miss out on gold.
None, however, seem to feel it quite like the Russians when it comes to medals.
We rounded up some of the best podium pictures of the Russians coming second...
- Oh a silver...yay...EMMANUEL DUNAND via Getty Images
- Dead behind the eyesMike Hewitt via Getty Images
- What a little ray of sunshineVCG via Getty Images
- When can I go home?Doug Pensinger via Getty Images
- Come on mate, smile!Julian Finney via Getty Images
- When you're just trying to hold it togetherASSOCIATED PRESS
- Please God, let this be over soonClive Brunskill via Getty Images
- A silver! Just what I've always wanted!ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Trying to hold it as far away as possibleScott Heavey via Getty Images
- Oh the joyHans Deryk / Reuters
Despite being banned from all track and field events and weightlifting, Russia will be represented in most sports at the Rio Olympics, with 271 of its athletes cleared to participate ahead of the opening ceremony, according to Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) head Alexander Zhukov.
Russian boxers, judokas and shooters were among those given last-minute approval by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in the aftermath of a doping scandal which has tarnished Russia’s reputation as a sporting superpower and threatened to split the Olympic movement.
Russia’s depleted team will comprise about 70 percent of the 387-strong squad originally named for the Games.