Six more police officers are being investigated for misconduct in relation to non-official and inappropriate photographs of two sisters who had been stabbed to death in a London park.
Two officers, who have not been named, were detained on June 22 on suspicion of misconduct in public office. They were released under investigation and suspended from duty, and an investigation was launched by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
This has now been completed and the IOPC has sent a report to the Met, which the Directorate of Professional Standards is now reviewing. Advice will also be sought from the Crown Prosecution Service.
On Tuesday, the Met announced that during the investigation further possible misconduct matters came to light, and the IOPC have advised six additional officers that they are under investigation for misconduct in relation to the inappropriate and non-official photographs.
In addition, possible misconduct unrelated to the Wembley incident, and involving a small number of officers, has been identified by the IOPC. It relates to honesty and integrity, and equality and diversity.
None of these officers have been suspended.
IOPC director for London Sal Naseem said he was “deeply concerned” by the investigation’s findings.
Danyal Hussein, 18, of Guy Barnett Grove in south-east London, was charged with the murder of Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, on 2 July. He was also charged with possession of an offensive weapon.
The family of the victims have spoken of the “devastating impact” of their loss after their bodies were found next to each other on June 7 at Fryent Country Park in Wembley, north-west London.
Scotland Yard said its directorate of professional standards was informed of allegations that “non-official and inappropriate photographs” had been taken at the crime scene, it emerged at the end of June.
The IOPC said the pictures were allegedly “shared with a small number of others”, adding that the Met was “handling matters involving those members of the public who may have received those images”.
In a statement on Tuesday, Naseem said: “I am deeply concerned by the issues emerging from our investigation.
“Policing is founded on community consent, confidence and cooperation. The public have a right to expect high standards of professional behaviour from police. These allegations, if true, breach that trust and may point to more serious issues around the organisational culture, which we will also be looking at.
“The evidence we have seen provides a salient reminder to all police officers to take responsibility for addressing wrongdoing and upholding professional standards in their own ranks, and their obligation to speak out if they see unacceptable behaviour.”
Speaking in June, Met commander Paul Brogden said: “I am horrified and disgusted by the nature of these allegations; a sentiment which will be shared by colleagues throughout the organisation.
“If true, these actions are morally reprehensible, and anyone involved will be robustly dealt with.
“This deeply disturbing information will no doubt have created additional trauma for a family who are already grieving the devastating loss of two loved ones.
“I can only start to imagine the impact of this; and I’d like to sincerely apologise to them for this further burden.
“I know that the wider community will share our shock and repulsion at these allegations and whilst our focus remains with Bibaa and Nicole’s family we are also listening to the concerns our communities and key stakeholders will want to raise about these allegations.”