18/12/2018 08:00 GMT | Updated 18/12/2018 15:37 GMT

A Massive Russian Ship Stranded Off Cornwall Has Been Rescued And Sent Back To Sea

Coastguards rescue the German-built ship that was stuck in rough seas.

A Russian cargo ship that ran aground on a beach in Cornwall as strong winds whipped across the southwest has been rescued. 

The Kuzma Minin grounded off Gyllyngvase Beach in Falmouth at about 5.40am on Tuesday, in what was described as “extreme” and “horrific” weather.

Eyewitnesses said the vessel, which had 18 Russian crew on board and was not carrying any cargo, had been successfully re-floated on Tuesday afternoon.

The huge vessel is stranded just off Falmouth Bay.
The ship ran into ground on Tuesday morning.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and Devon and Cornwall Police declared a “major incident”.

Video footage released by the MCA shows winchman Niall Hanson being lowered down to the ship in 60mph winds.

Witnesses have taken pictures of the boat close to the shore and the incident comes after the Met Office issued a yellow warning of severe weather with 65mph winds forecast.

Graham Parker, 43, who owns a local student and holiday letting company in Falmouth, said the coastguard had attempted to rescue the crew from the tanker but feared the weather was too rough.

“The lifeboat crew were out there in minutes to see how they can help. It’s amazing considering most are volunteers and they rely on donations,” he said.

A photograph taken by a witness shows the operation to re-float the Russian ship.

Nigel Kitto, who lives locally, praised the work of the lifeboat and helicopter teams operating in “horrific” conditions.

“The helicopter and lifeboat have been going in and out and it’s incredible to see – the skill of the helicopter pilot,” he said.

“The helicopter is going sideways here against the wind and struggling a bit.

“It’s amazing to watch but there are people on board so fingers crossed that everyone gets back to shore OK.”

The efforts to rescue sailors from the beached tanker come on the eve of the 37th anniversary of the Penlee lifeboat disaster.

Falmouth resident Jess Hughes described this morning’s weather on the Cornish coast as “extreme”.

“As you come over the crest of the hill there’s just this huge ship where there shouldn’t be,” she told the Press Association.

“Last night it was horrendously windy and now there’s gravel up by the road so it was a good high tide,” she added.

As the rescue operation was under way in Cornwall, the emergency services in Scotland were dealing with six lorries overturning on a P&O Ferries sailing at Cairnryan ferry terminal, in Wigtownshire.

No one is reported to have been injured in the incident, and Police Scotland said all 52 passengers and 56 crew on board are safe and well.