09/08/2016 10:37 BST | Updated 09/08/2016 10:45 BST

Studio 338 Fire Investigation Continues As Man 'Fights For His Life'

14 people were de-arrested at the scene.

A man is “fighting for his life” after a fire at an ‘Ibiza-style’ south-east London nightclub on Monday.

Fourteen men arrested on suspicion of arson were later de-arrested, meaning police were able to determine they had no part in the fire while still at the scene.

The injured man, in his 20s, was taken to an east London hospital on Monday. The Metropolitan Police said he remains in a critical condition after suffering serious burns.

Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
Fire brigade crew work to extinguish the fire at London nightclub 'Studio 338' on Monday.

The cause of the blaze at Studio 338 is still being investigated. 

Police were called to Boord Street, Greenwich, by the London Fire Brigade at 11.55am on Monday, reports the Press Association. 

 More than 12 hours after police were called, cordons were still in place at the scene and police said inquiries continued with investigators from the London Fire Brigade. The Health and Safety Executive has also been informed.

Around 100 firefighters and 15 fire engines attended the blaze at its height, which sent smoke into the sky which could be seen across the capital.

The LFB said it broke out on Tunnel Aveneue and a large part of the ground floor of the club and part of its first floor had been alight. An industrial warehouse and a scrap paper processing yard, along with 40 pallets of paper, were affected.

Some gas cylinders were also affected and a safety cordon was put in place until the cylinders were cooled. 


Just before midnight on Monday, eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters and officers remained at the scene.

Studio 338, which describes itself as ‘London’s only all day, all night terrace’ underwent a major refurbishment in January this year to install a glass and steel atrium, and an outdoor beach. 

Studio 338 thanked supporters “for all the love” at this difficult time, adding: “You are the best family we could wish for.” 

Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

 The venue opened as Studio 338 in March 2014, being billed as ‘London’s biggest nightclub’ with venue capacity of 3,000. 

Ticket holders to future events have been told to wait until the outcome of the fire is clear before being able to seek a refund.

Pictures shared on social media show the extent of the fire, which broke out near the O2.

Fire station manager Andy Walton said: “Firefighters are making good progress but there is still quite a lot of smoke coming from the fire so we are still advising people to avoid the area if possible and for those living nearby to continue to keep their doors and windows closed as a precaution. 

“Crews will remain at the scene throughout the night fighting the fire from outside the nightclub as the building is too structurally unsafe for our firefighters to enter. They are also dealing with deep seated pockets of fire which are still affecting the paper processing site.”

In a statement a spokesperson for the club said: “Things are only finished if you let them be. Our unity and love for music will prevail, I am 100% sure of it.

“Finally, with regards to upcoming events and tickets, etc., the vast majority of you have understood that today is of course a bit early to even think about that.

“Once we have had a chance to at least get an idea of the impact this has had, we will get straight onto what can be done for the near future and pre-booked tickets for events, which may now not be able to go ahead at 338.”


Anyone with information is asked to call the police non-emergency line on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.