Bournemouth Beach in Dorset has been named the best in the UK, in annual travellers’ choice awards announced by TripAdvisor.
The seven-mile stretch of sand isn’t just a winner in the UK, it was rated sixth best in Europe and 20th in the world – beating idyllic locations such as the Seychelles and Cape Verde.
The beach, which can get incredibly busy in summer, has traditional seaside attractions that’ll give visitors a big hit of nostalgia – from colourful beach huts (which you can hire) and a bustling pier. In addition to the stunning views of the Isle of Wight and the Purbecks, visitors can also enjoy the bay’s micro-climate that means the sea is among the warmest in the UK. Just remember to pack your cossie.
The best beach in the world is Baia do Sancho, which is on Fernando de Noronha, a small volcanic archipelago just off the coast of Brazil.
The stunning beach, which boasts UNESCO world heritage status, has crystal clear turquoise waters and exotic wildlife frolicking in the forest-clad cliffs which back onto the beach. It’s difficult to get to, but worth the effort.
A littler closer to home and ranking number one in Europe’s best beaches is La Concha Beach in San Sebastian, Spain, which is also ranked fourth in the world.
Located in the centre of the city, it has just 1,500 metres of white sand. Many visitors swim to the small island that has it’s own lighthouse, a bar and picnic tables. Enjoy.
Top 10 Beaches in the World
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba
3. Eagle Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba
4. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
5. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
6. Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
8. Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
9. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
10.Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica, Caribbean
Top 10 Beaches in Europe
1. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
2. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
3. Falesia Beach, Olhos de Agua, Portugal
4. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
5. Balos Beach and Lagoon, Kissamos, Crete, Greece
6. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
7. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
8. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
9. Cala Rossa, Isola di Favignana, Sicily, Italy
10.Playa de Muro Beach, Playa de Muro, Majorca, Spain
Top 10 beaches in the UK
1. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
2. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Scotland
3. St. Brelade’s Bay Beach, St Brelade, Jersey
4. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
5. Barafundle Beach, Stackpole, Wales
6. Filey Beach, Yorkshire
7. Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Wales
8. Gorleston Beach, Norfolk
9. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
10.Newborough Beach, Dwyran, Anglesey, Wales
We all work hard to earn our money – so it shouldn’t feel like hard work to spend it well. At HuffPost Finds we’ll help you find the best stuff that deserves your cash, from the ultimate lipstick to a durable iron to replace the one that broke (RIP). All our choices are completely independent but we may earn a small commission if you click a link and make a purchase.