1) First and foremost, there is no secret to developing a winning fitness routine. Ultimately, it comes down to dedication, hard work and choosing a tailored approach that is right for you.
2) Go with your gut and listen to your instincts. A fitness programme should be designed to improve your overall wellbeing. Therefore, choose something that you really enjoy. Be it Zumba classes, spinning or jogging around the block, there is an appropriate exercise routine for everyone and it's all about listening to your body and doing something that is fun and makes you happy.
3) Stay hydrated. You can lose up to a litre of water an hour while exercising, so it's fundamental to keep your fluid levels topped up. You therefore need to ensure that you get the right amount of water before, during and after exercising.
4) Keep things varied. Be it trying new exercise classes, eating a varied diet or working out with new instructors, it helps to regularly mix things up. This not only improves your focus and motivation, it also makes exercising more interesting and encourages people to step out of their comfort zone.
5) Monitor your progress. It's so motivating to see yourself improving and getting fitter. By documenting your workouts, you can assess your development and identify any areas for improvement. There are also a multitude of apps available to help you do this.
6) Set yourself realistic goals and visualise where you want to get to. If you set unrealistic expectations, you are setting yourself up for failure. You want a fitness routine that you can maintain for the long term, so ensure you outline achievable objectives. It can help to structure your goals into phases, for example, try extending your run for two minutes every week. If you consistently do this, before long, you will be running 10km!
7) Incorporate exercise within your daily routine. For example, why not try cycling to work. That way you can kill two birds with one stone by combining your commute with your workout!
8) Make it sociable. It can really help to have a workout buddy. Not only will you encourage each other, you also get to spend quality time with a friend.
9) Speak to an expert. It is helpful to have a consultation with a professional trainer who can assess what workout routine will be the most beneficial for you. It will also help to identify areas for development, so you can hone in on them to improve your overall fitness and strength.
Laura Trott is the UK brand ambassador for Ohso [www.ohso.com] probiotic chocolate