Breakfast is definitely the meal I struggle with the most. I've never been a regular breakfast eater and would be more likely to skip straight to lunch or have brunch instead.
Over the years I have tried to get better at eating breakfast and I am much better but I still do need something to excite me to get me ready to eat in the mornings. I will never be someone who eats the same breakfast day in, day out, that just terrifies me.
So, I invented this breakfast as a healthy bowl of filling oatmeal porridge with extra taste sensations to make it super attractive to eat, especially on a frosty morning. Making breakfast taste like dessert (but without the calories, fat and sugar) is a sure fire way to get anyone to dream about breakfast, right?!
It sure works for me!
Have your brekkie taste like a jaffa cake, with antioxidant rich cocoa and fragrant orange zest and a generous scattering of fresh orange. It does double duty to keep you full 'til lunch and also satisfies any cravings to prevent you reaching for the cookie jar mid morning.
This breakfast is;
- Low in saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- High in calcium
- High in dietary fibre
- High in manganese
- High in riboflavin
- High in vitamin B12
- Very high in vitamin C
- High in vitamin E
Ingredients: Per serving
- 35g/6 tbsp oats (use gf certified if necessary)
- 250ml/1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- zest of 1 orange plus flesh to serve
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-4 drops vanilla stevia or other sweetener, to taste
- Place the oats, liquid, cocoa, orange zest, vanilla and salt into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Stir occasionally until the porridge has reached your desired consistency. Add sweetener gradually to taste.
- Serve topped with the orange flesh.