A review of 63 scientific studies has concluded that non-believers are more smug than religious people.
The paper, entitled 'The Relation Between Smugness and Religiosity: An Analysis For Stupid People Who Believe In God And Fairies And Things', was published by a team at the University Of Self-Righteousness in New York.
They found that atheists' feelings of superiority stemmed from a number of sources - including the reading of Richard Dawkins books, the behaviour of the Catholic Church, and studies showing that non-believers are more intelligent.
Atheists have been surprisingly happy with the findings. One told HuffPost UK Comedy: "This study just proves what we knew all along".
More TOPICALOLs:Suggest a correction
- Panda Baby Watch: Our 36-Page Souvenir Special!
- Supermarkets Won't Sell Lab Burgers 'Until They Contain At Least 10% Horsemeat'
- The Ashes - How South American Commentators Covered It
- A Trainspotter's Guide To The Edinburgh Festival
- Twitter Unveils Full Range Of 'Report Abuse' Buttons
- Trolls Win Campaign To Get Troll On £5 Note
- CHART: Find Out If You Are A Troll
- WATCH: One Direction Movie Trailer - Hobbit Style
- PICTURE: First Look At New Jane Austen £10 Banknote
- PICTURE: Royal Baby Presented To The Public
- NEWS: Woman Gives Birth To Baby
- Porn Crackdown: Government Unveils Screen Blocker (PICTURE)