SPORT

John Terry Won't Come Out Of International Retirement For England

04/02/2014 13:21 GMT | Updated 04/02/2014 13:59 GMT
Shaun Botterill via Getty Images
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03: John Terry of Chelsea celebrates victory during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea at Etihad Stadium on February 3, 2014 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Former England captain John Terry has no plans to come out of international retirement.

Following the defender's superb performance in Chelsea's 1-0 win over Manchester City on Monday night, Gary Lineker led the calls for the 33-year-old to return to the international fold.

"Must be hugely tempting for Roy Hodgson to pick up the phone to John Terry. Solid regular partnership with (Gary) Cahill. Best option by far," England's second-highest scorer tweeted.

Terry called time on his England career in September 2012, accusing the Football Association of making his position within the international setup "untenable" following its pursuit of a racism charge against him.

Terry failed to hold down a regular place in the Chelsea side last year, but he has starred for the Blues this term following the return of Jose Mourinho.

Such performances as the one at the Etihad have led to talk of a return, but the 33-year-old stands by his original decision to retire from international football and has no plans to come back.

Terry at Chelsea

It is understood Terry's stance has not changed since he said "the door is closed" on his international career last month.

Terry's camp were miffed by reports the Chelsea captain had made himself available for England's March friendly against Denmark - the final game the Three Lions play before Hodgson selects his provisional World Cup squad.

Responding to claims by former England right-back and FA Commission member Danny Mills that Terry should be recalled, England manager Hodgson said in November: "John retired a long time ago right at the very start of our qualifying campaign. We have played nine games without him. We have qualified without losing a game.

"So I think it is time for us to keep moving forward and not every time we lose a game start to turn back and turn back to someone who has been a fantastic player in the past."

The FA banned Terry for four matches for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand in October 2012, but the 78-cap defender was cleared of criminal charges regarding the matter.