18/12/2011 07:03 GMT | Updated 17/02/2012 05:12 GMT

Train Inspector Stabbed: Renewed Police Plea To Identify Attackers

Police have renewed their plea for members of the public to come forward and help identify the two youths who are thought to have stabbed a train inspector on Friday.

Two males were caught on CCTV leaving East Tilbury train station in Essex and police have named the pair as suspects. The 42-year-old, who was stabbed in the back after challenging two youths travelling without tickets, was released from Basildon University Hospital on Saturday night.

The incident occurred at the Essex station just before 9pm after the youths were caught travelling on the 8.20pm c2c service from Southend Central to Fenchurch Street in London without a ticket.

Police have issued CCTV pictures which show two suspects, both white and in their late teens, one wearing a black hooded top and the second a grey top and grey flat cap.

Chief Superintendent Paul Brogden, overseeing the investigation, said: "Our enquiries into this serious attack are ongoing.

"Clearly the outcome could have been much worse and it is perhaps through sheer fortune that the member of staff’s injuries weren’t more serious.

"My team of detectives have been working throughout the weekend to identify these men and our efforts to trace them are continuing today. I’m confident that someone will recognise this pair and urge anyone who does, or the men themselves, to come forward and talk to us."

Brogden added his team had taken a "number of calls" as a result of the public appeal but were still keen to hear from anyone with information regarding the incident.

“We know the train would have been fairly busy at the time of the incident and are therefore particularly want to hear from anyone who witnessed the events that took place," he added.

Julian Drury Managing Director of c2c said:

"We deplore this incident, which is being fully investigated by the British Transport Police.

"Thankfully incidents of this nature are extremely rare and maximum efforts are being made to identify the suspects."