Disgraced broadcaster Stuart Hall told police that his sex victims were all lying as part of a "vendetta going on against people in the public eye", a court heard.
When initially arrested last December over three claims of indecent assault, he said the allegations were "nonsense" and "completely untrue".
He went on to say: "It's just impugning me for the sake of putting me in the stocks, really."
The veteran BBC presenter is being sentenced today after committing indecent assaults against 13 girls between 1967 and 1987 - the youngest aged just nine.
The 83-year-old had initially issued an impassioned public denial of any wrongdoing before he finally admitted his guilt at Preston Crown Court in April.
Hall, of Prestbury Road, Wilmslow, Cheshire, was arrested and charged on December 5 last year with indecently assaulting three of his victims.
The publicity led to more women coming forward, including a 22-year-old who said she was raped by Hall in the 1970s.
Following his guilty pleas on 14 counts of indecent assault against 13 victims, the rape charge - which Hall denied - was asked to be left on file after it was given consideration at "the most senior level" of the Crown Prosecution Service and the alleged victim was also consulted and agreed.
Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, today outlined the details of the offences committed by the former It's A Knockout presenter.
A "significant" number of the complainants were in attendance at Preston Crown Court today, said the prosecutor, as Hall sat in the dock.
Wright said Hall denied any impropriety after he was arrested at his home in December.
Hall said the motivation for the complaints was "otherwise instant notoriety if it ever get into the press domain".
He described one of the complainants as "a complete and utter liar", another as "unstable" and suggested collusion was taking place.
He denied any sexual interest in children and described his sexuality as "just normal".
An officer asked: "You're saying they're all lying?"
Hall replied: "Well, yes. Yes. Dreams and the light imaginings of men."
"Is that your considered view on the matter?" continued the officer.
"It is my truthful considered view of everything," said Hall.
"There is a vendetta going on against people in the public eye, and people can come out of the woodwork and say what they want."
Hall was bailed and further inquiries followed, said Mr Wright.
The prosecutor said: "The publicity surrounding his arrest led to other complainants having the courage to come forward to disclose what had occurred to them and also in support for those who had already come forward and reported allegations.
"The motives expressed by these complainants was to demonstrate that the allegations that had been made were neither isolated nor unfounded."
Hall was re-arrested in January and again denied each of the alleged assaults and characterised them as lies.
He told police: "I think a lot of people have just made things up just to make sensationalism. I think it's completely misinterpreted... they are all telling untruths."