The reason for Boris Johnson's popularity in China has been revealed: the locals have mistaken him for a rare breed of giant panda.
"We are stunned," one told HuffPost UK Comedy. "We have never seen a blonde panda in captivity, let alone wandering around in the wild, on a bike."
Chinese authorities believe that George Osborne has brought Johnson over in order to initiate a breeding programme.
"We expect a higher success rate than we have with our normal giant pandas," said a Chinese government official, "as he is clearly far more frisky."
Johnson is proving to be far more popular with the Chinese than Osborne, with passersby stopping to have their photograph taken with him. This is because giant blonde pandas are very rare, say local sources, whereas weasels aren't.
- A Handy Guide To The 'Help To Buy' Scheme
- David Cameron's Revealing Reshuffle Notes
- WATCH: The Sochi Winter Olympics Song
- LOOK: Government's Under-25s Benefits Plan Unveiled
- Ronan Farrow 'Could Be Mia Farrow's Son'
- WATCH: Benedict Cumberbatch Gets His Own TV Channel
- I Shouldn't Be Judged By My Father's Teenage Diaries, Says Son Of Adrian Mole
- Long-Term Unemployed Wombles 'Still Picking Litter'
- Warning To Anyone Tempted To Reveal Breaking Bad Ending
- Play Tory Party Conference Bingo!
- Married Couples Tax Breaks: Wedding Industry Responds
- VIDEO: Edinburgh Panda Watch: World's Media Gather
- Asda Inspires This Year's Must-Have Halloween Costume