Rupert Murdoch has been told by police that he is to be questioned over phone hacking allegations at his UK newspapers, according to The Guardian.
The 83-year-old was first informed he would be interviewed as a suspect late last year, however reached an agreement with police not to be questioned until after the News of the World hacking trial, which ended on Tuesday with former executives Andy Coulson found guilty of conspiracy to hack phones and Rebekah Brooks acquitted on all charges.
Nick Davies, one of the journalists responsible for breaking the hacking scandal, reported immediately after the trial that Scotland Yard detectives would interview the ageing proprietor “under caution” about the criminal acts that took place within his UK newspaper operation.
Following news of the verdicts, Labour leader Ed Miliband slammed David Cameron for hiring Coulson as a spin doctor, saying his conviction for phone hacking on Tuesday meant the prime minister "brought a criminal into the heart of Downing Street". Cameron and George Osborne both apologised for their roles in hiring Coulson to be the Tories' media chief, a role he stood down from in 2011.
Cameron gave a "full and frank apology" for employing Coulson as his spin doctor at 10 Downing Street, saying: "It was the wrong decision and I am very clear about that." But Labour leader Miliband said that the apology did not go far enough, and that Cameron had "very serious questions to answer" about why he stuck by Coulson long after serious allegations about him had become public.
Cameron's government was "tainted" as a result, Miliband said, accusing the prime minister of putting his relationship with press tycoon Murdoch ahead of the public interest.