#WaterstonesTexan Gets Stuck inside Trafalgar Square Bookstore, Creates Twitter Storm

Meet David Willis, from Dallas Texas. Last night, he basically got to live the dream, by getting locked in Waterstones, Trafalgar Square.

Did he settle himself down with Richard Flanagan's Booker prize winner? Or use the time to find out what all the fuss was about with Gone Girl? Or even avail himself of unlimited muffins from the Trafalgar Square coffee shop?

No he didn't, he only went and created a Twitter storm.


This is me locked inside a waterstones bookstore in London. I was upstairs for 15 minutes and came down to all the lights out and door locked. Been here over an hour now. Supposedly someone is on their way. #nofilter #london

View on Instagram

Pleas to the Waterstones Twitter account fell on deaf ears.

Slowly, Willis started to draw a (virtual) crowd. Although not anyone with a set of keys.

There was talk of movie deals.

And speculation on his reading material.

And veiled threats

Everyone was starting to get tired and overexcited, but we couldn't miss how this would end. AND NO ONE WAS TELLING US WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON.

Finally, his calls were heard, by someone who could actually help

And confirmation from the horse's mouth.

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

Although his girlfriend is a) a bit miffed b) very amused

And she filled us in on how much the guy actually panicked.

And how much she is loving this now.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said police were called at around 9.35pm "by a man claiming to be locked inside a shop".

He added: "Officers attended and following the arrival of a key holder the man left the building shortly after 11pm."

UPDATE: The Waterstones Texan has spoken to Good Morning Britain.

He didn't build a fort.

Or finish War and Peace.

"Right when I came downstairs I saw I had been locked in and I went to the door, tried to open it, the alarm went off. The alarm sounded in Trafalgar Square for probably 20 or 25 minutes," he said.

"The phone rang after about ten minutes or so. It was a security guard and I talked to him and I thought, you know, I'll be out of here in a few minutes. And a little more and a little more time went by.

"I finally said I'm going to talk to the police, I talked to them, and I thought I would get out from the police very soon.

"Then I just kept waiting and waiting, so eventually I went to social media.

"I'm very tired, I did not sleep much last night but it feels good to be free."