In fact, for the last six years, not a single Best Picture winner has been the biggest film of that year - far from it in fact.
- Oscars 2015: Full Academy Awards Nominations List
- The Oscar Winners Might Not Be Who You Think...
- The Oscars Goody Bags Contain Something Very, Very Weird
Of course, every Best Picture winner has put plenty of bums on seats, but when you compare the global box office takings of each year’s winner, they pale into comparison to that of the films that generated the most cash.
But then ‘The Avengers’, which took $1,519m at the box office, was never going to win the big prize in 2013 (that honour went to the rather less commercial ‘Argo’).
So which Best Picture winner took the least amount of cash in the last six years? Find out below...
- 31 Stunning Vintage Photos From Oscars Past
- 21 Things That Are Guaranteed To Happen At The Oscars
- We're Loving These Honest Oscar Movie Posters
- 13 Things You Didn't Know About The Oscars
- 11 Stars Who Have Surprisingly Never Won An Oscar
- Worst Dressed Oscars Red Carpet Stars Ever
- Top Ten Most Cringeworthy Academy Award Winner Speeches (VIDEO)
- Oscars 2014: The Academy Awards By Numbers