A historic “ghost” station hidden in south London has been unearthed by engineers working on the new Thameslink transport programme.
Workers busy constructing the Bermondsey Dive Under construction site rediscovered the lost station perched on a viaduct above Rotherhithe New Road.
Original tiling from the ticket hall, as well as evidence of the old platforms, were uncovered by construction workers.
Southwark Park station closed in 1915 after just 13 years in service.
The arrival of the First World War, coupled with the rising popularity of buses and trams, saw the station lose customers and it was one of several in the area to close down.
According to London blogger Ian Mansfield, it was known that the platforms still existed but that it was unsure what exactly remained. Consequently, workers were surprised to find the foundations of the platforms intact.
On his blog, Ian Visits, Mansfield added: “The station, apart from being no longer there, does have one lingering claim to fame. The first signal box in the world was built here.”
Project manager Greg Thornett said: "The Bermondsey Dive Under is a key part of the Thameslink Programme, creating the railway necessary to provide a frequent and reliable service through London Bridge and will make a huge difference to passengers' journeys, cutting journey times and making the services more reliable."
He went on: "We uncovered the footings for the former platforms while we were preparing the top of the viaduct for new track and we are now working up in the roof space of the former ticket hall to fill in the old skylights, ready to carry the final track alignment.
"Much of the existing stretch of viaduct will be replaced by the ramps into and out of the new dive under, but the arch that used to house the old booking hall will remain."
The £6.5billion Thameslink Programme will see much of south London’s railways rebuilt from New Cross Gate through to London Bridge and on to Blackfriars and St Pancras.