Morden Tube Murder: Police Release CCTV Showing Daniel Young Minutes Before He Was Stabbed

Morden Stab Victim's Final Moments Caught On CCTV

These are the tragic last moments of a "brilliant" young academic's life, which show him strolling from his London home, with satchel slung over his shoulder, unaware that moments later he would be stabbed to death.

Shortly after 8am on January 19 Daniel Young was murdered after taking a shortcut through Kendor Gardens, to Morden Station, in what police said was a "senseless attack".

Detectives on Tuesday released CCTV footage of Young making his way to Coventry University's London campus in what would have been just the second day of new new job as a teaching fellow. Detectives are yet to establish a motive for the killing and are still trying to determine if it is linked to an earlier, non-fatal stabbing of a 23-year-old man 1.5 miles away in Mitcham.

Police have released CCTV footage of Daniel Young's final moments before he was stabbed to death on January 19

The clip shows the teaching fellow, dressed in a suit and carrying his laptop and a bag over his shoulder, walking along Dorset Road towards the entrance of Kendor Gardens.

Young walked into the park at around 8am, and was stabbed within minutes. The first 999 call was made at 8.07am, Scotland Yard said, and was believed to have been made as another passerby desperately tried to perform CPR on him.

A week since the murder, Detective Chief Inspector Cliff Lyons on Tuesday renewed calls for anyone with information to come forward.

"He had no reason to suspect he was going to be attacked and there is still no clear motive, or reason, for what appears to be the senseless murder of a brilliant young man.

"I believe his attacker left the park immediately after he attacked him and did so via the Dorset Road entrance. I am appealing for anyone who was nearby and saw something, however insignificant it may seem, to contact the incident room.

"The response from the public so far has been incredibly helpful and both I, and Daniel's family, are very grateful. However, we still need anyone who was in the vicinity of Kendor Gardens and Dorset Road at that time of day to get in touch."

Young was stabbed to death near Morden Tube station

The detective appealed for anyone who might have captured video footage, for example on a cycling helmet camera, private CCTV or a camera on a car, to get in touch.

Officers are sifting through CCTV and are carrying out house-to-house inquiries, both around the park and in the area between the two attacks.

Detective Superintendent Paul Monk said so far there is no description of Young's killer, or the suspect in the first attack, but that the investigation has made "significant strides" within a week.

He said: "It was commuter time, it was rush hour. We know that there would have been people close by, and people came to Daniel's aid very quickly.

"I'm keen to speak to anybody who was in the area at that time, particularly in the vicinity of Kendor Gardens and Dorset Road."

So far two men have been arrested. A 26-year-old was held on January 19 on suspicion of murder and wasting police time, and was bailed until early March. A 35-year-old was arrested on January 21 on suspicion of murder and was bailed until late February.


What's Hot