Coronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.
The Downing Street press conferences that have been a feature of the coronavirus crisis will no longer happen every day.
No.10 announced on Tuesday ministers would continue to hold briefings only when “significant announcements” are made.
It comes after Boris Johnson announced from July 4 a widespread easing of the Covid-19 lockdown that has been in place for three months.
Earlier this month, Downing Street cancelled weekend press conferences due to their low TV ratings.
Johnson’s official spokesperson said at the time that the briefings were being scaled back as the government moved into a “different phase” of the fight against the virus.
Data normally shown at the press conference on deaths, testing, infection rates and other measures will be made available on the government’s website.
Led by ministers including the prime minister and health secretary Matt Hancock, the daily No.10 briefings have become a regular fixture in the UK’s response to the pandemic.
The politicians were usually joined by government experts including chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance and chief medical officer Chris Whitty.
Members of the public have been allowed daily questions as well as journalists.
When the briefings began in March, journalists packed closely together into the room.
But the epidemic grew, the lectures were moved moved apart and reporters had to ask questions via video link.
When Johnson made his address to the nation on his easing of lockdown last month, more than 27.5m people tuned in.
The broadcast on the new “road map” out of the crisis was one of the most-watched television broadcasts in British history, surpassing the audience figures for the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Under the plan to lift more of the lockdown rules in England announced today, families can be reunited and dinner parties will be allowed – but millions of people will still be unable to hug their loved ones.
Under the changes from July 4, indoor gatherings involving two separate households will be permitted – including the possibility of visiting reopened pubs and restaurants – but social distancing will need to be maintained.
Acting leader of the Liberal Democrats Ed Davey MP said: “On the day the prime minister has announced the next crucial stages of exiting lockdown, it beggars belief ministers are now dodging scrutiny.
“At a time when millions of people are worried about how they go back to a more normal life, the government should be making themselves more accessible to the public, not less.
“Combined with their refusal to hold an inquiry to learn the lessons before a potential second wave, it seems the government are simply running away from all the tough questions.”