31/03/2016 09:10 BST | Updated 31/03/2016 09:14 BST

Ben Innes, EgyptAir Hijack Selfie Man, Snatches Phone From News Crew After Landing At Manchester Airport

And his own mother has described him as 'stupid'.

The British man who posed for a grinning selfie with the hijacker of an Egyptian airliner has been filmed snatching a phone from a camerawoman as he landed at Manchester Airport.

Footage taken by ITV shows Ben Innes refusing to answer questions before turning around and grabbing the mobile.

The camerawoman says: "That's my property, what are you doing?"


Innes replies: "I don't give a shit."

The 26-year-old from Leeds then walks away with the phone before returning and handing it back.

Innes became an overnight celebrity after a picture of him standing beside the flight MS181 hijacker, named by officials as Seif El Din Mustafa, went viral.

The health and safety auditor told The Sun newspaper: “I’m not sure why I did it, I just threw caution to the wind while trying to stay cheerful in the face of adversity.”




Innes said that if the bomb was real then he would have nothing to “lose”, so he “took a chance to get a closer look at it”.

He said: “I got one of the cabin crew to translate for me and asked him if I could do a selfie with him.

“He just shrugged OK so I stood by him and smiled for the camera while a stewardess did the snap. It has to be the best selfie ever.”

In a screenshot of a WhatsApp conversation Innes wrote: “You know your boy doesn’t fuck about!! Turn on the news lad."

Innes mother, Pauline, has branded her son "stupid" for posing for the picture, the Press Association reports.

In an article on social media for the Daily Mail, broadcaster John Humphrys questioned Innes's decision to pose for the snap.

He wrote: "The photo was the perfect demonstration of this strange new urge to be the star of your own social media show, even in a situation when minutes earlier people thought they were going to die."

The Cypriot court ordered Mustafa to be detained for eight days as he faces charges including hijacking, illegal possession of explosives, kidnapping and threats to commit violence.

The incident comes just five months after 224 people were killed when a Russian aircraft crashed over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula minutes after it took off from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.