UK

Eloise Parry, 21, Dies After Taking Toxic 'Diet Pills' Bought On The Internet

21/04/2015 09:15 BST | Updated 21/04/2015 10:59 BST

A 21-year-old woman has died after taking "diet pills" thought to contain a highly toxic chemical.

West Mercia Police said Eloise Aimee Parry died at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on 12 April after taking tablets bought on the internet.

Tests are being conducted on the pills but they are believed to include a quantity of dinitrophenol, also known as DNP.

eloise parry

Eloise Parry died on 12 April

Eloise’s mother Fiona told the BBC her daughter had walked into the hospital herself when she began to feel unwell.

She said there was “no great panic” until a toxicology report revealed just how dire her situation was.

As the drug took hold, Eloise’s metabolism soared. Ms Parry said: “They attempted to cool her down, but they were fighting an uphill battle. Two tablets was a lethal dose – she had taken eight.”

SEE ALSO:

Officers are conducting a full investigation into the death and have warned the public of the dangers of buying substances online.

Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said: "We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised.

"The coroner's report will establish the exact cause of Eloise's death but we urge the public to be incredibly careful when purchasing medicine or supplements over the internet.

"Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake."

Speaking to the BBC, Ch Insp Mattinson added: “This substance is an industrial chemical actually. It’s not fit for human consumption. It’s used as a pesticide, very dangerous and highly toxic and even very small amounts of it can have really devastating effects.”

Police are attempting to establish the circumstances of the pills' sale and anyone with information that could assist the inquiry is urged to call 101.

In a statement, Ms Parry, said: "It is such a great sadness that her life ended so soon, and, in many ways, ended before it had really had a chance to begin.

"There were so many things that she dreamed of doing - travelling, having a career and having a family - things that she never got a chance to experience.

"She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her and it will be all the good memories of her that we will cherish as we go through the difficult weeks and months ahead."

The Food Standards Agency has previously advised members of the public not to take any tablets or powders containing DNP, an industrial chemical which is not fit for human consumption.

Eloise was a student at Glyndwr University and on course to study a Masters when she finished her degree.

A spokesman for the university told the Daily Post: "She was a motivated group member who contributed enthusiastically to all modules, always championing the promotion of positive well-being for children and young people. Ella was a popular student with staff, peers, across the university and within placement.

"She always strived to do her best in everything and had great potential both academically and in practice. She will be sadly missed by us all. Our thoughts and condolences are with her family and friends at this sad time.”