British Child Dies In Hotel Pool At Egyptian Red Sea Resort Of Sharm El-Sheikh

British Child Dies In Egyptian Hotel Pool

A five-year-old British girl who died in a pool at a hotel in Egypt has been named by her family, according to reports.

The grandmother of Chloe Johnson, from Forest Hill in south London, told Sky News that the family was "devastated" by her death.

Chloe died in a waterpark at the Coral Sea Waterworld Hotel in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, travel company First Choice said.

First Choice said it would carry out a "full and thorough investigation" in partnership with the hotelier.

A spokeswoman said: "First Choice can sadly confirm that a child has died while staying at the Coral Sea Waterworld hotel in Egypt. The incident occurred in a pool in the hotel's waterpark.

"Our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this extremely difficult time. The British Consulate were immediately informed and they are now working with our dedicated resort team in Egypt, to offer every assistance possible to the family in resort.

"In partnership with the hotelier, our resort team are working to understand how the incident occurred, and we will be carrying out a full and thorough investigation. At this time our priority is to provide support to the family."

According to the Coral Sea Hotels and Resorts website, the Coral Sea Waterworld Hotel is "a magnificent resort leaving nothing to be desired" and is "set amid colourful landscape gardens and the resort's two pools".

It is described as a "perfect setting for complete relaxation", as well as being "an ideal venue for many exciting activities".

Sharm el-Sheikh is a popular holiday destination overlooking the Red Sea.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of the death of a British national in Sharm el-Sheikh on 17 May. We are providing consular assistance to the family at this difficult time."

Before You Go