NEW YORK -- The Westboro Baptist Church boasts a brief cameo in the recently released trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice." Spotted by Mediaite, a sign is shown during the scene in which Superman arrives at the Capitol building in Washington, flanked by protesters.
One is holding a placard that says “God Hates Aliens,” a parody of the “God Hates Fags” signs for which the evangelical Kansas cult has become synonymous.
In the same shot, there’s a sign that reads “Superman = Illegal Alien,” a nod to the heated debate on immigration in the US, a row that has become even more inflamed following the announcement of Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy, the property tycoon running on a plank of populist bigotry.
The Church had threatened to picket the funerals of the victims of last month’s Charleston shooting, using the hashtag, “God sent the shooter.” In response, hacktivist group Anonymous threatened to retaliate at the funerals and online. There were no reports of the group attending any of the memorials for the victims.
In a recent podcast, author Sam Harris speaks with Megan Phelps-Roper, granddaughter of WBC’s Fred Phelps, about the function of the church that she recently left. You can listen to the podcast below.
- When Will America Elect An Openly Gay President?
- Christians Should Resist Gay Marriage With 'Civil Disobedience'
- 'Stop Combatting Climate Change And Promote Traditional Marriage'
- CNN Mistakenly Spots ISIS Flag At London Pride
- South Carolina Confederate Flag Removed By Daring Female Activist
- Gay Marriage Decision Called 'The New 9/11'