Visitors to a famed sex club in Germany are being urged to look out for signs of bacterial meningitis after a patron was hospitalised for the illness.
Authorities in Berlin say the patient is likely to have contracted the illness in the city’s KitKatClub on Saturday.
All visitors to the club are now being urged to consult a doctor if they show any signs of the infection.
Bacterial meningitis can be spread via saliva and close body contact. Common symptoms are strong headaches, high fever, a stiff neck, dizziness and weakness. The disease can become life-threatening within hours.
In a statement on its home page, the club itself said that “while infections in the club were very unlikely according to doctors and authorities ... anybody suffering from symptoms should immediately see a doctor.”
The club said that none of its employees had shown any symptoms so far, but all had been offered antibiotics as a preventive measure.
City officials said there was no need to shut down the club because it wasn’t the source of infection, and the site itself was not contaminated.