An appeal launched in the wake of the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing has reached a final total of £21.6 million.
The majority of cash raised by the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, which stopped taking donations at the end of January, has gone to bereaved families – but trustees of the charity said they were keen to help those in need of ongoing medical support and care.
The remaining £1.1 million from the fund, launched days after the attack in May nearly two years ago, will be given to those who suffered significant injuries.
This will include cash – match-funded by the NHS – for six months of intensive physiotherapy care at the Manchester Institute of Health and Performance.
Edith Conn, the fund’s chairwoman of trustees, said: “Manchester and the world responded with such kindness, generosity and solidarity in the aftermath of the Manchester Arena attack.
“In raising more than £21.5 million, those who donated have helped many, many people who suffered during that incident.
“As the second anniversary approaches, our thoughts as always are with all those affected by the attack.”
Suicide bomber Salman Abedi, 22, from Manchester, detonated his device as scores of young people left the venue at the end of an Ariana Grande concert on May 22 2017.
Twenty-two people were killed and hundreds of others injured.
Abedi’s final movements were revealed by police as CCTV images showed him moving around the city’s streets and hauling a blue suitcase in the days leading up to the attack.
Brothers Isaac and Abz Forjani, who were arrested by armed police soon after the attack before being released without charge, said they had been left “traumatised” by their cousin’s actions.
Isaac, 24, added: “It’s not easy being connected to 22 lost, innocent lives.
“The fact that the person that did this is related to us by blood is something that’s going to stay with me for the rest of my life.
“My thoughts are with the families of the victims. I really do feel for them.”