Some of you may have noticed I am down in Palm Springs for the month of June and one of the questions people often ask is - 'Why the desert?' - my response 'Why not!
I wanted to share an interesting experience this week and allow you to relate it to your own daily rituals, routines, work and family experiences.
Being in the hot desert and as a woman who likes to ensure she is fully groomed I booked myself in with a reputable salon to have some waxing done. Upon meeting my therapist I could she was tired but I intuitively knew she was also suffering emotional. We got to talk throughout the brief session and it transpired that the week previously she had broken up with her long-term boyfriend of four years however it was an abusive relationship in many ways. Now why am I telling you this?
For the first time in my entire life I was actually burnt with the hot wax on my legs, there were three distinct red marks. She didn't notice, or apologise because her head was elsewhere. Yes the burn subsided, aloe vera gel works wonders and the rest of the team were wonderful, they didn't charge me, gave me some gel to take home and thanked me for being so considerate. So what does this teach us?
With 60,000 to 100,000 thoughts a day, how focused are you with your mindset on what you are doing? Are you getting through that long to do list? Are you finishing your project? How many disruptions are you running with every day? Do you have your email notifier on? Do you pay attention to your colleagues/clients needs and conversations? Are you mindful of your children's needs? Are you thinking - I hope so! Well let me share some of my thoughts that my clients simply love?
- Enjoy some quiet me time in the morning before starting your day
- Get some daily exercise in, even if it is only a 30 min walk - it helps the brain as well as the body
- Set your intentions for the day (visualize the day playing out as if it was the end of the day and notice any possible hiccups along the way)
- Scrap the to do list
- Start an MIT (most important tasks) list - no more than five. This helps you focus on the tasks at hand and ticking them off at the end of the day will make you feel much more satisfied
- Single task - not multi-task - believe me it doesn't work
- Take regular breaks, science has shown that working intensively for about 45 mins, having a 10 mins break for 5 - 7 hrs is much more conducive to success and achievement than a 12 hr straight day
- When in a meeting be present, pay attention to what is being said - not thinking about drinks down the pub or what you're having for dinner or the kids
- Ditto with phone calls
- Be mindful about what you eat too, this will help you see where you are driven by your emotions too!
- Notice what emotions you go through each day, understand where they stem from
- Allow yourself to be childlike and use your imagination - it brings life to your thoughts and ideas and will allow you to be more productive
- Be guided by your gut feelings and intuition, they are there for a purpose
- And don't forget to switch off, your family and friends deserve your time too (tomorrow is another day)
- If you have an iPhone or smart phone, use your Do Not Disturb - this way you will only be interrupted by those in your favourites, so even if you need to speak to a top client you can add them to your favourites list
- End your day with a little gratitude for all the goodness that has manifested throughout the day and if there was some toughness in there decipher what you can learn from it
- Lastly pay attention to your thoughts - keep them positive
Remember whatever you are feeling will show up in your relationships, life and your work. When you need to ask a peer, a boss or a coach for guidance and help and sometimes all it needs is a loving friend to be there and listen.
"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake" - Sir Francis Bacon
Mindfulness is an amazing practice to bring into your daily life, once started you will simply adore it.
Wishing you every success in your daily adventures and in case you are wondering I am in the desert as I am actually working on my second book!
Shirley Palmer is a Transformational and Business Coach, Mindset Master, Speaker and Author. She works with CEOs, senior management teams, professionals and entrepreneurs positively changing the direction of their business and/or personal life.