I entered rehab being told that I had a 3% chance of surviving the addiction. I had to dig so deep inside myself to believe that I would not be a part of the other 97%. I began my journey to recovery 10 years ago.
There has been a lot of speculation about how men won't take up the opportunity of shared parental leave because the money is not enough for them or because childcare is not seen as a man's job. These are valid concerns but I think it goes even deeper than that.
If you are thinking about having a baby, or expecting one, I would suggest discussing with your partner how you are going to share responsibility for bringing up your baby, before the wee one arrives. It would be much less stressful. We all have different expectations of parenthood, and it is important to explore your expectations, and how they compare to your partner's.
The overwhelming evidence is that talking therapy works. And works in ways that can be life transforming for many people. It doesn't matter much what the brand of counselling or therapy is. What seems to be most healing is the relationship that develops between client and practitioner, based on attunement towards the client, honesty and respect.
More needs to be done to protect women who are victims of such crimes and the criminal justice system needs to get better at it. I think all this is true - but I don't think that that injustice means it is right to deny men justice when they suffer imprisonment and disgrace for something they did not do.
Male pattern baldness is the most common form of hair loss in men. It usually develops very gradually, typically involving the appearance of a bald spot on the crown of the scalp accompanied by thinning at the temples. Although this problem can strike any man at any time, many first become aware of it as they approach their thirties.
In 2004 I embarked, somewhat foolishly and naively, on a journey to write a trilogy of books about masculinity. In 2013 the third book was published, I sighed in relief, they had consumed nine years of my life. During the writing hiatuses I would tour a one-man show in which I experimented with concepts and ideas for the books. Those were tough times.
We're under no illusion that the majority of women would prefer someone with a "six-pack" as opposed to a "keg". Women aren't plastering 45 year-old men with beer bellies on their Facebook Page, they're posting pics of Channing Tatum with his shirt off shaking his "groove thing" during "Magic Mike"...... And that puts pressure on us.
Undershirts really are 'a thing' and, quite frankly, you need to get on the hype. Once you go under, you'll never come back up.. Seriously!
Several incorrect media articles over the last few days have been published stating middle-aged men with a certain balding pattern are at an increased risk of developing aggressive prostate cancer than men with no baldness. Well, this is highly inaccurate in my opinion and unfortunately caused a great deal of men unnecessary anxiety and stress.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner, all to contain some protein to help balance blood sugar throughout the day, plenty of leafy green veg, not too much sugar etc etc - you know the drill. You don't have to deny yourself the treats you love but eat more of the good stuff and the rubbish will be crowded out.
It is unfair to blame any stigma around the feminist movement solely on the media representation of an archetypal feminist. I don't believe a true feminist hates men - they simply aspire to live life on a level playing field. Women should have equal pay. Men should have their parental value equally compensated. Equality gaps exist for both sexes ergo both sexes have a motivation to achieve parity.
I've taken off again like a gypsy. I am currently in a small town in Northern Thailand, called Pai, in Mae Hong Son province near the Myanmar border which lies along the Pai river, staying with my soul sister.
I was a Christian for 25 years. In that period, I believed some of it for some of the time. I probably never believed all of it; I don't think any Christians do, in reality, other than those who habitually blur the distinction between reality and fantasy. My faith gradually declined until in the few years leading up to my Big Surprise - the mid-life crisis...
They will be dealing with school letters, bake sales, dress up days, poorly small people sent home, packed lunches, homework and after school clubs as well as taxes, accounts, sales, marketing, outsourcers, coworkers - oh, and the actual work that you charge for.
I know from my girlfriends that many men are not averse to smoothing on a product or two - and not only do most of them secretly use their lady's scrubs and tubs, but men's products have increased by 70% over the last six years, meaning that our dads, husbands, brothers and boyfriends now have a bathroom cabinet of their own.