The opening number of the NTAs was, frankly, among the most ludicrous things we have ever seen.
- NTAs Nominations Revealed - Can Ant And Dec Make It 15 Years In A Row?
- The Best TV Moments Of 2015 In 28 Glorious GIFs
- The Most Memorable NTAs Moments Ever
- The Most Outrageous Dresses In National Television Awards History
Bear opened the skit telling viewers: “My job is to prepare one man for the toughest, most grueling task of his life… hosting the 21st NTAs.”
Dermot O'Leary, inappropriately dressed for the great outdoors
As it carried on, Dermot was seen being put through his paces, climbing trees, drinking “urine”... and phoning Aidan Turner’s Poldark to see if he could switch places and do the opening sketch with him instead.
He was then carried off by a rope dangling from a helicopter, before we were taken live to London’s O2 Arena, where Dermot descended from the ceiling to introduce Gloria Gaynor, who performed her signature tune, ‘I Will Survive’, which the TV presenter described as “the ultimate survival song”.
Gloria Gaynor opens up the NTAs for reasons we're still not sure of
Half-way through the number, she was joined by ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ soul singers Revelation Avenue, who turned the song into a mash-up with Destiny’s Child’s ‘Survivor’.
While dancers threw themselves into an energetic routine, and a disco ball backdrop twinkled behind the performers, we thought it couldn’t get any more camp.
And then, it did.
Gloria briefly broke off to tell all of us, “NTAs, and all of you watching. If there’s anyone in your life who’s tried to stop you from surviving, you tell them I said…”
She then launched into the song’s famous chorus: “Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now…”
And you know the rest. What. A. Spectacle.
See the full list of winners from this year’s NTAs, including ‘Great British Bake Off’, 'I'm A Celebrity' and 'EastEnders' actor Danny Dyer here.
MORE FROM THE NTAS:
- TV Royalty Turn Out For The NTAs 2016
- All The Winners From This Year's NTAs
- Luisa Zissman Stages Return To The Spotlight At NTAs
- Susanna Reid Is A Bit Of All White At The NTAs
- Jorgie Porter Looks Out Of This World At The NTAs
- Michelle Keegan And Mark Wright Are One Very Co-Ordinated Couple At The NTAs
- Amanda Holden Wows On The NTAs Red Carpet
- Danny Dyer's NTAs Speech Was VERY Danny Dyer
- The NTAs Opening Number Was One Of The Most Ludicrous Things We've Ever Seen
- Ant And Dec In Least Surprising NTAs Victory Ever
- Susanna Reid Puts Piers Morgan In His Place At The NTAs
- Dermot O'Leary Couldn't Resist A Few 'X Factor' Digs During The NTAs
- 'X Factor' Suffers Another Blow At The Hands Of 'Strictly'
- The Award For Longest NTAs Speech Goes To… Sid From ‘Gogglebox’!