- 15 Moments That Defined The Brit Awards
- The Worst Dressed Stars To Ever Walk The Brits Red Carpet
- The 18 Best Brit Awards Performances EVER
- 14 Most Surprising Brit Awards Winners
- 15 Photos From The '96 Brits Guaranteed To Give You A Nostalgia Kick
The ‘Hello’ singer was the first winner of the evening, taking to the stage to collect the award for Best British Female, after an amazing few months since releasing her third album, ‘25’.
During her acceptance speech, she thanked her fans for “welcoming her back so warmly” and her management for “embracing her being a woman”.
She then added: “I’d like to take this opportunity to publicly support Kesha.”
Adele's public backing of Kesha is paritcularly bold, as she's signed in the US to Columbia, a division of Sony records.
Kesha has dominated the headlines since Friday, when a judge ruled that she would not be allowed to leave her recording contract with music producer Dr Luke’s division of Sony, having previously accused of him of sexual and emotional abuse.
Since the ruling was made, several celebrities have offered Kesha their support, including Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato and Lady Gaga, while her fans quickly got the hashtag #FreeKesha to the top of Twitter trends.
Taylor Swift, having previously been criticised by some for staying quiet on the matter, was later revealed to have donated to $250,000 to the ‘We R Who We R’ singer to help with any of her financial needs during this difficult time”.
She’s since thanked her fans for their support, writing on Instagram: “I am beyond words in gratitude. Thank you is not enough but it is all I have.
“A million times over and forever thank you. The support I have received has left my face swollen from tears. I love you all so much.”
Dr Luke, meanwhile, recently broke his social media silence about the abuse allegations, calling them “horrendous”, “untrue” and “motivated by money”.
MORE FROM THE BRIT AWARDS:
- See All The Stars Arrive On The Brits Red Carpet
- Here's A Full List Of The 2016 Brits Winners
- Kylie's Brits Appearance Was Special For Two Huge Reasons
- Cheryl Looked All Sorts Of Amazing On The Brits Red Carpet
- Oops! 'TOWIE' Star And Presenter Maya Sport Matching Brits Outfits
- Fleur East Has Got A New Rihanna-Inspired ‘Fro, And We Are Into It
- Susanna Reid Takes Inspiration From Jessica Rabbit At The Brits
- Rihanna Slays In Barely-There Dress On Brits Red Carpet
- Adele Was A Lady In Red At The 2016 Brit Awards
- Little Mix Give Us Golden Goddess Vibes At Brit Awards
- Adele Makes A Bold Statement During Brit Awards Speech
- Awks! Ant And Dec Interrupted By Unexpected Guest During Brits Link
- Lorde Has Us In Tears With Her David Bowie Brits Tribute
- Rihanna And Drake Get Steamy During Brits Performance
- Little Mix Totally SMASHED It With Debut Brits Performance
- Adele's Brits Performance Was, Of Course, Glorious
- Adele Censored During Brits Speech, But ITV Forget To Bleep Her Actually Swearing
- Craig David Speaks Out On Brits Diversity Row