What's in a flag?
The UK flag could be no more
And Union Flag is the correct term - although 'Union Jack' is commonly used, the flag is officially only called a jack when it is flown from a ship.
As Scots vote in the referendum today, flag-lovers have been suggesting their own alternatives for the symbol, should a new design have to be created.
In fact, the flag wouldn't necessarily have to be dismantled. In a survey from the Flag Institute, the UK's national flag charity, only 56% of members thought the Union Flag would change if Scotland became independent, while 44% thought it would remain unchanged.
1) Could this be Cornwall's chance to stamp its authority on the UK flag?
2) Wow, just wow.
3) A good few other flags may need to be edited:
4) The Welsh dragon has been feeling a little left out.
5) King Salmond could feature on a revamped Scottish flag:
— coolzilla (@blinkclyro) September 18, 2014
6) The Welsh dragon moves centre stage again, joined by Mr Fry:
7) Gordon Brown's stirring pro-union speech yesterday inspired this artistic creation:
8) Some green could be added for a Welsh-themed flag:
9) Or not...