Peter Endean, standing in Plymouth, forwarded a meme describing rescued survivors of a boat sinking as "Labour's new floating voters".
The original tweet
It came just days after over 800 migrants drowned after a vessel carrying them from North Africa seek asylum in Europe capsized in the Mediterranean.
Only 27 people were rescued and the Tunisian captain has been charged with multiple accounts of reckless homicide.
Endean said: "I have been trolled. The re-tweet was not intentional or deliberate and totally against my Christian beliefs. Merely a case of large fingers on a small phone.
"However, I do apologise unreservedly for any offence caused to anyone."
An even bigger furore still surrounds comments made by Katie Hopkins, who wrote an article shortly before the disaster describing migrants as "cockroaches".
- Katie Hopkins: The Police Have Better Things to Do Than Patrol Twitter
- Katie Hopkins Accused Of Making Vile Holocaust 'Joke' About Ed Miliband And His Wife Justine
- Katie Hopkins Reported To Police Over 'Race Hate' Tweets To Labour MP Simon Danczuk
- Katie Hopkins Ed Miliband Tweet Just Made A Solid Case To Vote Labour
- Katie Hopkins Depression Comments Call Some Suicidal People 'Attention Seeking Bastards'